Pleuritis in a young male

mobey

But the fact that this patient was flown out makes me think that this patient crumped in the ER at sometime.

Thinking about it, I suspect (thinking out loud) that he developed a chemical pneumonia that degenerated into a pneumothorax thus requiring a chest tube and intubation.

Without knowing what else happened and only having spotty info I'm also waiting for more.

Mobey, you have damn good scenarios.

Hello,

Maybe consider abx coverage for transfer.

He had Advil 500mg (1800hrs) and Tyl 1gm in the ED. How is his pain control? Is he taking full breaths? If not, maybe some more pain control. Tradol IV if he is making pee or maybe a little Morphine.

Have NIV (Bi-PAP/CPAP) as a backup plan.

Isolation procations and prepare for transport.

Cheers

Edited by DartmouthDave

But the fact that this patient was flown out makes me think that this patient crumped in the ER at sometime.

Thinking about it, I suspect (thinking out loud) that he developed a chemical pneumonia that degenerated into a pneumothorax thus requiring a chest tube and intubation.

Ya, chemical pneumonia was at the top of my list too. This reminded me of an airbag pneumonitis.

As far as the flight goes, he was flown due to the distance to the pediatric hospital (3.5hrs by ground). I am not trying to withold any info here, his presentation did not change, and I actually walked him onto the plane.

Thanks for bringing that up Dave. What would ya'll use?

When the Dr was giving me report I was thinking "Damn... this sounds like a scene from Outbreak"

I do promise I will try hard to get a diagnosis and treatment.

Hello,

In a King Air we would have the pilots wear gloves, masks and gowns while loading. The staff would wear gloves, gowns, and masks as well. For a walk on patient we would have them wear a mask, glove and gown. Then close the cabin door between the medical crew and the patient.

On a side note I need to read up on chemical pneumonia änd airbag pneumonitis. Brain gym.....

Thank you,

Dave

Ya, chemical pneumonia was at the top of my list too. This reminded me of an airbag pneumonitis.

As far as the flight goes, he was flown due to the distance to the pediatric hospital (3.5hrs by ground). I am not trying to withold any info here, his presentation did not change, and I actually walked him onto the plane.

Thanks for bringing that up Dave. What would ya'll use?

When the Dr was giving me report I was thinking "Damn... this sounds like a scene from Outbreak"

I do promise I will try hard to get a diagnosis and treatment.

I keep forgetting that your flight terminology also may include fixed wing which would allow him to walk to the plane where my flight terminology exclusively would focus on helicopter.

good scenario