Bad Morale ? What does your employer do ?

I have low morale because AK has not hired me yet :(

Seriously there has been low morale in the Ambulance Service for years here mostly around lack of funding, remuneration, management culture, rosters etc but the problem is consistently denied as really being a problem so little is done or will be done in the forseeable future

Its almost a universal gripe in ambulance eh? Pretty much the same this side of the ditch though i suspect you know enough about the former MAS and what we turned into after the "merger" in 2008 to know what i mean.

Wow, AK, that sounds like a serious gamble that really paid off. I assume this is a private EMS service you run? Where can I sign up? Haha. The profit sharing sounds like a great way to boost morale.

Wow, AK, that sounds like a serious gamble that really paid off. I assume this is a private EMS service you run? Where can I sign up? Haha. The profit sharing sounds like a great way to boost morale.

No, I had the grand idea to start my first business in a war zone. I own/operate 3 medical/dental clinics and a medevac service which cater to contractors abroad.

Its almost a universal gripe in ambulance eh? Pretty much the same this side of the ditch though i suspect you know enough about the former MAS and what we turned into after the "merger" in 2008 to know what i mean.

Not really, I know basically MAS and RAV became AV

The bitch here is that St John cries woe-is-poor-broke us we have no money and nobody cares about little old St John but we do such a stellar job of running a first world Ambulance Service that nobody could do it better but give millions of dollars they drum up to the other 11 "functions" they are involved in.

Now the Ambulance Service is broke, it runs a multi million dollar deficit while millions of dollars are given to other useless wanky crap "community programs" which probably help some little old Nana's and kids feel better so good on them but unfortunately the Ambulance Service gets lost along the way.

Vehicle design is basically unchanged since the 1980s and the Australian vanbusprinter prototype was rejected over a quasi London style sprinterbox that looks like somebody with a developmental disability designed it, they spent over a thousand dollars on each complete uniform but it's one of the most impractical pieces of crap I've ever come across and could buy a better one for under half the price, most of management are dickheads and it's like following alice down the rabbit hole ... what more can i say?

Edited by Kiwiology

Not really, I know basically MAS and RAV became AV

The bitch here is that St John cries woe-is-poor-broke us we have no money and nobody cares about little old St John but we do such a stellar job of running a first world Ambulance Service that nobody could do it better but give millions of dollars they drum up to the other 11 "functions" they are involved in.

Now the Ambulance Service is broke, it runs a multi million dollar deficit while millions of dollars are given to other useless wanky crap "community programs" which probably help some little old Nana's and kids feel better so good on them but unfortunately the Ambulance Service gets lost along the way.

Vehicle design is basically unchanged since the 1980s and the Australian vanbusprinter prototype was rejected over a quasi London style sprinterbox that looks like somebody with a developmental disability designed it, they spent over a thousand dollars on each complete uniform but it's one of the most impractical pieces of crap I've ever come across and could buy a better one for under half the price, most of management are dickheads and it's like following alice down the rabbit hole ... what more can i say?

Like i said, not much changes when you cross the ditch. RAV had a massive restructure in 2006, eople got sacked and asked to reaply for their jobs, the management structure was changed then the dead wood cut loose and funnily enough a culture change ensued and we had a hay and productive (if underfunded) workforce. Fast foreward to 2008 when the goverment forced the merger, RAV and most people in its higher echelons were done away with and we re-inherited the same nepotistic, narcissistic culture of bullying and harrassment from MAS that they had spent millions of dollars getting rid of in the first place.

No money, no morale, no care factor and no idea. I cant have new boots BUT we have millions of dollars to buy new helicopters and a motorcycle resonse unit that was never even in a strategic plan until the government needed some good PR.

AK sounds like you are a good employer that appreciates the work done.

I have a question though, why does it always come down to money. I go to work because to be honest I like the people that I am around. When I walk through the door, the receptionist says good morning with a smile. My office mate and I laugh at the stupidest things. Now this isnt to say we dont have stress or moral issues in some of the offices but when it comes down to it, It is my responsibility to make my life happy not my employers. There is something to be said for someone just saying "great job" or "thank you"

happy

I don't consider it a morale booster, but an expression of my appreciation:

1. Summer BBQ, for staff and their families. I cook. I must be doing ok too because no one has gotten sick yet.
  2. Staff Christmas party with their families. Company buys gifts for every child, and employee. Also a gift exchange amongst all the adults and an annual bonus cheque for each employee.
  3. Houseboat available for staff use in British Columbia.
  4. Education Bursary available.
  5. Child Care services.
  6. Free refreshments in coffee room and ambulances.
  7. I'll usually buy supper for my partner on a call
  8. My company doesn't have an actual employee recognition program, but I do make sure at least one is nominated for recognition if deserving.
  9. Employees have a voice and are encouraged to offer suggestions to improve their work environment.

It's a start.

Edited by Arctickat

Trev, mate, do you accept foreign Kiwi's to come work for you? I can cook a bloody mean hamburger :D

I have a question though, why does it always come down to money?

It doesn't but having to put up for decades with piss poor funding and a lack of interest from Government and the on flow problems doesn't really help morale

when it comes down to it, It is my responsibility to make my life happy not my employers

That is true however the actions of an employer can have a significant impact on the ability of one to be "happy" at work

Things are certainly better now than they have been, but when the same issues are consistently raised for years and very little or nothing is done, then you have to wonder

Trev, mate, do you accept foreign Kiwi's to come work for you? I can cook a bloody mean hamburger :D

Not until you learn the proper Queen'd English and how to build an Igloo. You'll need a place to live.

Besides, I tried that with our mutual South African friend if you'll recall. She didn't like it much. :(

Edited by Arctickat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.