Psychomotor exam EMT-B

Hey guys! Just trying to find some answers and was hoping to get some help from the pros. Here's the thing, I passed my EMT-B class in August of 2010 and due to an increased work load and responsibility I never got around to taking the NREMT test until just this January. With a little book work at home I was able to pass the written NREMT test. Now this is where I was thrown for a loop, NREMT states that my psychomotor exam had since expired and would need to be retaken. Now a year and a half removed from having touched a dummy and some of the critical fails having changed from when I went through class. So this is what Im looking for, is there any good resources for getting sharp on these particular items in Colorado? Can I just retest the psychomotor exam? Has anyone on here been in a similar situation? Any ideas you have are much appreciated!

The other option CH would be for him to find a NREMT test prep course. I took one one week prior to my registry test and it worked wonders.

I have no idea where to find one of these little workshops but they have to be out there.

I can't see the need to retake the EMT Course when all he needs to do is retake the skills portion of the test. I may be completely mis-reading his question though. Because if he retakes the EMT class won't he have to retake the written again?

I took this registry prep class, took the practical test and passed it first time. Of the people in the prep class (25 of us) 23 of us passed first time. 2 had to retest one station. OF the 200 or so people who were testing that day of the test, over 150 had to retest at least one station.

So I would suggest that he at least look into a registry test prep course if there are any in his area. If there aren't any available then Yes, a retake of the EMT would be in order.

But we're just talking taking the skills test right? If it was me, this is EMT level stuff here. I would try to find the prep course.

This is only me talking though.

I would be looking for a prep course to take the skills test.

But the rational part of me says CH is right and retaking the EMT class would be the logical thing to do but that's 4 more months and 800 or so more dollars and money's tight these days.

So for me personally I'd try the prep course and see what happens. Worse case scenario, I'd fail the test and then have to retake the EMT Course altogether anyway.

So what does he have to lose anyway.

But the advice I have to the OP is this. And this is advice from me only. Find a prep course, take the test, if you pass then jump right into medic school at a degree granting college. Do not go to a medic mill program that will give you nothing but a medic cert where you will have nothing but a piece of paper to fall back on. Get a good grounding in the college level courses. If you can swing it get your medic as well as a Bachelors degree. That way, when your back goes out you have the fallback of a college degree to use in interviews to get that job that will hold you through till your back heals up.

It's your career, get your degree.

Don't base your choice of a career on a single post on emtcity.

Unless you have forgotten every single thing you have learned in your initial class, I advise you don't retake the entire class. Contact NREMT or your local state EMS authority and ask them about the availability of a 24 hour psychomotor refresher course.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.