Medical director

Believe it or not, I was actually very good friends with my last services medical director. We had similar personal and philosophical views on almost everything.

It was at a time when I was without health insurance and he was without a computer repairman so it was a symbiotic relationship.

A working paramedic to medical doctor to med director relationship as well as friendship.

Yep, a good relationship.

JP you are talking about a medical director who probably this is probably his only gig. Being medical director for your county is a huge job. I don't know how many calls your county runs but I believe your county is pretty big.

They services I was referring to are pretty small. The one where this doc is so involved in may run only 800 calls in a single year.

The total number of calls this director I referred to has to oversee may come to a grand total of about 10K total. Of which maybe 10% need to be reviewed or whatever.

STill pretty lucrative if you ask me.

It is a FTE, but I believe he's also required to maintain a clinical EM job. California is highly regionalized with the regions being either counties or groups of counties. Also the counties themselves generally don't run ambulances (I say "generally" only because I know that LACo staffs a bariatric ambulance with a driver that services can request, but the service has to provide the medical crew).

For my county at least, it's not a traditional medical director job in the sense that the medical director is overseeing the day to day activities of individial paramedics. That largely falls to the base hospitals (each paramedic unit is assigned to a base hospital, and each base hospital has it's own medical director) and the individual services (limited to Air Methods/Mercy Air for HEMS and fire departments currently). It's much more of an executive position than anything else.

It is a FTE, but I believe he's also required to maintain a clinical EM job. California is highly regionalized with the regions being either counties or groups of counties. Also the counties themselves generally don't run ambulances (I say "generally" only because I know that LACo staffs a bariatric ambulance with a driver that services can request, but the service has to provide the medical crew).

For my county at least, it's not a traditional medical director job in the sense that the medical director is overseeing the day to day activities of individial paramedics. That largely falls to the base hospitals (each paramedic unit is assigned to a base hospital, and each base hospital has it's own medical director) and the individual services (limited to Air Methods/Mercy Air for HEMS and fire departments currently). It's much more of an executive position than anything else.

Great clarification JP thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.