What gear to own, I'm new.

Mican

Good Morning,

I'm starting EMT school. I've joined a volunteer fire department, I'm a just retired 54 old former executive who wants to start doing something that really matters for my community. It's a busy station and like yours; cash poor, so each medic buy's a lot of thier own stuff.

I've been working out for a year; running & lifting, so I will not be a burden to the team. So; where do I start with personal gear.

For example:

What would you spend $$ for personal equipment to own?

What type of bag should I really carry v. what the salesguy tells me to carry.

Footwear & Pants, what holds up, comfortable, and is what you wear?

What should I start with and what web-sites do you think sell quality and what are the quality gear companies?

What questions should I ask?

I love bates as far as boots.

Pants: I wore 5.11's and they havent failed me yet however in the summer they are god awful and I try to shoot for black nursing scrubs that have the ems pockets. Good quality pair of shears are indispensible. And something Ive learned is having a few forceps around are awesome for fixing equipment. Little disposable penlight and a pocket drug guide/ bls guide are great. you can get a entry level littman for like 50 to 75 and itll last forever if you take care of it,

If you are gonna get some forceps, just keep em in a separate kit in the ambulance. Don't carry em on your person. Your gonna lose them if you carry em.

• 1 month later...

I generally do not use anything personal when on duty, cept for stethescope and pens.

In my car I carry a small jump bag with b/p cuff, stethescope and general first aid supplies, in the event I come upon an accident before police get there. My scope is a Littman around $65.00, does a good job.

I have also found that carrying a small radio where I can call in, to see if my team needs another set of hands at a scene, totally optional.

I do have a visor light on the car but only use it when I am on my way to a call from home as sanctioned by ambulance company, can't use it for anything else!

Just like a lot of posters said here, no need to go "wackers" (I paraphrased from posts).

Don't spend money that you don't have too. Most of the time there may little that you can do at a scene without proper authority.

Sorry I forgot to ask, how are you progressing so far?

BTW forgotto add, started EMT when I was 60, sorry I didn't get to do it sooner,

Edited by djdudley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.