What gear to own, I'm new.

Mican

The only equipment I have ever bought is my stethoscope. If I put a bag together, when I was a volley, I got a cheap small duffle bag and got the supplies from the ambulance company. Things like trauma shears and lights to check pupils came from them as well. I don't know where you are...but having your own pulse oximeter is a big chunk of money and not something that you really need. There should be one on the rig.

Good luck!

Welcome to the Village Mican:

As a long time EMS provider [42 years & counting] I used to carry a lot more than I do now. What I have on my person when responding to a call is a pair of 6 $ shears and a couple pair of gloves. i have a jump bag in my truck with all the normal bandages and stethoscope,BP cuff and the like.

When I get a newbie starting class, We supply them with a $35.00 basic bag with a $20.00stethoscope, $18.00 BP cuff, $6.00 shears that are disposable and basic bandaging and splinting materials [sAM splint]. It's good through class and lets them use it to practice getting comfortable taking vitals, and doing basic bleeding control and minor wound care.

Don't spend a lot of money on things that can get covered in spuge or destroyed when crawling around at a crash scene.

After a new member is licensed to practice we issue them a more complete bag with an AED [ we are rural and respond from home] and an O2 kit with airway adjuncts and a BVM.

Everything else you might need will be on the ambulance.

I buy our supplies & equipment from Boundtree medical. They have anything you might want and at reasonable prices.

Study hard and toy will do fine. I've found older providers to be the calming influence on calls due to having life experience.

I do have my own good stethoscope that I bought cheap from a would be Paramedic student that passed out every time he encountered blood or vomit. Finally figured out he wasn't cut out for this business. got a $300.00 Littman for $60.00 in a getting out of the field sale. :-}. Did I feel guilty?

Only for a little while.

Seen way to many gung ho kids who think their going to save the world ,only to find out they can't stand what we deal with on a daily basis.

edited to add last paragraph.

Edited by island emt

Your gear bag should be a matter of personal preference: See what type of calls you should be running, and take it from there. Don't be that guy with 50 occlusive dressings and no BP cuff. If you are running on a volunteer "drop and go" squad, I recommend a one piece jumpsuit with reflective markings and an EMS logo in big dumb letters on it. Get a good pair of boots, the kind that you won't have a problem scrubbing with chemicals in case you get God-knows-what on it. If they are not provided, get a good pair of goggles, and a helmet.

On your person, I would recommend:

1 quality stethoscope.

2 good quality black gel pens

1 black Sharpie marker

1 pocket sized Mead notepad

1 pen light. I recommend the kind that you can swap out an AAA battery with rather than the disposable kind

1 pair durable sunglasses or clip ons if you wear corrective lenses. Getting a durable, pocket sized protective case is also recommended

1 pack chewing gum

1 durable belt that can be quickly attached or removed from person.

On belt:

1 glove pouch

1 flashlight holder

1 good quality flashlight. Mini Mags or High-intensity LED flashlight is good.

1 pair trauma shears

1 tape holder. You can use a cotter pin to a trailer hitch or a saline lock made into a loop.

1 roll 2 inch tape

1 radio case. You can get radio case combos. Make sure it stays put when you change positions.

I also highly recommend a complete physical before you start working. Going from being sedentary to a quick burst of high intensity lifting or cardio is a real shock to the system. Get scoped out for high blood pressure, cardiac dysrhythmias, or respiratory disorders. Best of luck.

Shears (2 pairs)

Glove pouch

Small Knife or multi tool

A stethoscope that YOU can hear well with.

Penlight (pupil check)

LED flashlight for scene work (pocket size is fine loads of them on ebay)

Pens

Marker

Field guide

Comfortable boots ( steel toe if reg's require)

you could also get a cheap BP cuff for home practicing to develop your skill set.

Put together a personal bag with comfort items (food, socks, map book, spare batteries, etc) that you can bring with you. A small backpack will do.

The only thing I carry during a call is my stethoscope and a pair of exam gloves. I volunteer for my local EMS department and have a career position for a busy agency. With both I just have my stethoscope. Everything I need is in the ambulance or engine. I wear a duty uniform for both that they provided. When checking my unit at the beginning of my shift I know what and where everything is.

Purchase German shears. They look like the $5 cheapies but actually cost like $15. They are autoclavable, or downright disposable. Say what you will about us germans, but we know what will cut a pair of jeans.

Lol.

Are you from Germany, mobey? Didn`t know.

There have been alot threads about that already. As I`ve said in the others, I don`t really carry anything that I`ve bought myself. There`s everything in the ambo (as it should be).

I have my own pair of shears (more expensive than really needed but i like them) a good quality stethoscope like Mobey says you don't need a 300 dollar scope but a 10 dollar scope won't really cut it. The last thing is a good quality pocket flashlight, but I tend to work outside at night a lot. As for uniform gear 5.11 make comfortable long lasting gear, I love my pants from them

The answer is to wait until you start working. Some places will require some of the small things like a pen light and shears. Everything, especially any consumables, should be supplied by the company you work for. So now the question is, "What do you want to buy to make your life easier?" Often a good stethoscope is one thing. A good clipboard case if the one your company supplies sucks. Personally, I used my own BP cuff because I prefer the trigger griped hand aneroid style cuff (the ones where the gague is attached to the bulb) more than the cheaper ones. If the company is willing to supply you with consumables (tape, bandages, BVMs, etc), I can definitely see an argument in building your own jump bag. You shouldn't be buying equipment to play rescue randy or because your company is too cheap. You should be buying equipment because it makes your life easier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.