Recent back injury-looking for advice!

Hey guys, I am having a back problem and am looking for any advice I can find. I have asked everyone I can think of but nobody has been very helpful.

So here it is, I fell off a horse about 5 days ago. I immediately experienced severe back pain. As soon as I caught my breathe I tried to stand up and "walk it off" but was only able to walk about 10 steps before I laid back down from fear of passing out. Anyway I managed to get myself to the ER. After lots of struggles, apparently the dr was in a bad mood, they did a CT scan that showed a very mild compression fracture of L1 and an endplate fracture of T12. They didn't do any other testing or imaging and the doctor neer even touched me. I was admitted overnight for pain control and because my BP got down to 80 over with no apparent cause.

I have now seen 3 different doctors who have all given me different recovery times, from 2 weeks to 6 months. They all had different suggestions of what I should do.

I have been to physical therapy twice now and have learned that my severe pain is from muscle spasms. The first day at therapy they broke most of the spasms and I felt great. The second day was horrible. It seemed like the massaging created more spasms. Two thereapists tried to massage them out with no success. All they accomplished was creating major bruising down my butt. My spasms start in my lower back and go down my right butt cheek. They are so bad in my cheek that I can not stand to sit. Sometimes my leg just quivers. I am unsure of why I'm having spasms in just one side of my butt. I can't seem to find a comfortable position. I can't sleep more than two hours.

They prescribed me Cataflam, (I refused the narcs because I don't like feeling loopy) which I quit taking 3 days ago because it doesn't seem to help. I also have Valium which I take at night with the hopes of sleeping, not effective though.

I am hoping someone can give me a little advice on comfortable positions, recovery time, anything I should be doing to help the recovery time, or maybe seeking another opinion? I have a follow up with my primary care physician on Monday.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! This pain is unbearable!!! Thanks in advance!

I dunno if it would help, but there are these microwavable pillows that get really nice and hot. They always worked for me when i had muscle spasms and they have them in different shapes for different body parts and stuff. My stepdad has a back injury and uses one too...im sorry you hurt :c

I am really sorry that you are hurt. That is one of my greatest fears, hurting my back.

I don't really have much experience with back pain but have used ketoclorac (Dolac) injections for post op pain and acute abdomen pain with success.

Take care of yourself girl. I hope you get well soon.

My wife who was an EMT also has a severe career ending back injury.

Talk to your doctor about Lyrica. It'll help you sleep and its NOT a benzo. Its 99.9%^kidney (although not recommended you can have some ETOH without killing your liver.)

It helps with neuropathic pain, depending on the cause of it.

Be careful with dosing, start small.

Hey guys, I am having a back problem and am looking for any advice I can find. I have asked everyone I can think of but nobody has been very helpful.

I have been to physical therapy twice now and have learned that my severe pain is from muscle spasms. The first day at therapy they broke most of the spasms and I felt great. The second day was horrible. It seemed like the massaging created more spasms. Two thereapists tried to massage them out with no success. All they accomplished was creating major bruising down my butt. My spasms start in my lower back and go down my right butt cheek. They are so bad in my cheek that I can not stand to sit. Sometimes my leg just quivers. I am unsure of why I'm having spasms in just one side of my butt. I can't seem to find a comfortable position.

What you are describing sounds very much like sciatica. nerve impingement causing spasms and a burning pain down into your buttock. Try hot compress application and laying on your left side with a large pillow between the legs to help align the lower spine, legs slightly bent at hips and knees.

Hope you find relief! nothing worse than back pain.

Time for a 2nd opinion and an MRI. It sounds like you may have impingement on a nerve- either swelling or from a ruptured or bulging disc, in addition to your fracture.

No fun- trust me. The spasms will eventually subside, but the pain takes a lot longer. When I sustained my back injury, I went through an entire course of physical therapy, but was still in pain. It was only then that the doctor authorized an MRI and found a bad disc at L5 S1. Not much I could do short of surgery- which wasn't happening until I can no longer walk. Steroid injections did not work. Lots of core work, strength training, etc.

I have good days and bad days(mostly good), but this was 15 years ago and I am still working.

You can get past this, but you first need to find our exactly what you are dealing with.

• Like 1

Im going to agree with siatica. But there maybe other nerves involved. One thing that may help is an anti inflamitory like Toradol or IB Prophen. Its non narcotic and is good for getting the inflamation down. Once you get the inflamation under control the pain will subside. Heat is going to help with blood flow and cold is also going to help with inflamation. If your muscles are having spasams try a dose of Magnesium as it is the natural muscle relaxant and if you take it before bed will also help you sleep. The normal Adult dosage is 400mg per day but if you eat magnesium rich foods adjust accordingly. Lavender is also a good smell to have through out your house as it calms people there are oils out there you can put under your nose also. When I have a strained back I lay on a firm surface with a yoga mat, and place pillows under my knee's until the pressure is relieved.

Get better soon, As a person who has fallen off alot of horses I know how much it can hurt, (once got a foot stuck in a stirup and dragged a very long way, hurt for months)

Well it turns out that I was having sciatic nerve impingement due to swelling that was causing the spasms. They put me on anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers to help that, which worked. Now I just get to sit around for at least 4 more weeks and do nothing. It sounds fun in theory but it actually stinks. I never thought I'd be so ready to go to work.

glad to hear that you got a diagnosis.

Sciatica can take some time to get relief as the swelling thats causing the nerve impingement can take time to go away.

When you start to feel better: TAKE IT EASY! Trust me on this.

Don't rush right back and re-injure yourself.

Lots of gentle stretching and slow warm up exercises to loosen up without causing re-inflamation and swelling.

When you start to feel better: TAKE IT EASY! Trust me on this.

Don't rush right back and re-injure yourself.

Island, for me, a bit too late that advice. But good advice that is.

Also, as long as you aren't going to work, let yourself be a bit loopy with whatever meds the doctors prescribe, as long as they are NOT going to interact with each other in a bad way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.