Do you ever feel annoyed?

Inthecity

The thing that always stands out for me when American EMT's are posting here is how they really have to have the thought of lawyers in mind. So you can be sued down there for not giving someone enough pain meds that is one of the saddest things I have ever heard :(

The thing that always stands out for me when American EMT's are posting here is how they really have to have the thought of lawyers in mind. So you can be sued down there for not giving someone enough pain meds that is one of the saddest things I have ever heard :(

Actually you can be sued for literally any reason what so ever. The question is can you be succesfully sued. Unfortunatey, civil court in the US isnt about truth, or justice, or right vs wrong. its simply who tells the best story in many cases. And even being unsuccessfully sued can bankrupt the average american.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually you can be sued for literally any reason what so ever. The question is can you be succesfully sued. Unfortunatey, civil court in the US isnt about truth, or justice, or right vs wrong. its simply who tells the best story in many cases. And even being unsuccessfully sued can bankrupt the average american.

Do I get annoyed, yup, especially when we get called at 2am on a Saturday and are asked to transport an individual who was injured 2 weeks prior, and just felt pain in the previously injured area. I sooooo agree with last two posts, because they are true.. But we have to cover our gluteus maximus. The ones that really get to me are the frequent fliers, but we have to deal with them, including the one that insists we take him to a hospital that is really outside our area. BTW we have surrounded by four very good hospitals.

I get annoyed with stupid douchebags pieces of shit whose skull i want to cave in with a large heavy object because they make me so angry my blood boils and i get so enraged ima like gonna go blind but i cant afford to go blinderer

oh look suxamethonium, hold still ....

I'm sorry but if I let my practice of medicine be overshadowed every time by the thought and fear of being sued then I'd have quit EMS a long long long time ago.

I never treated a patient a certain way thinking that OH SHIT I might get sued for doing this. If you are treating a patient to you scope of practice, not going outside your scope and not doing stupid fucked up things to that patient then the average paramedic joe shmoe should not have to worry about getting sued.

Guys, if you are constantly worried about getting sued for doing your job, if you are constantly fearful that the next patient that you see is going to be the one who is going to take all your money in a lawsuit that will take maybe years to settle down the road, then you are in the wrong business to be in.

Do your job the right way, don't be a out of control cowboy and treat the patient with dignity and respect and go to work every day. Don't worry bout what might happen 1, 2 or 10 years down the road or you are going to be burned out by the worry before you know it.

I've been in EMS for nearly 20 years and I have never been personally sued. My company on the other hand I don't know. But me personally for my ems actions, never. I'll bet that 95% or more on this forum can say the same and that would constitute maybe 500 or more years of combined experience, maybe 1000 years. So stop worrying about getting sued.

• 1 year later...

Dislocation is often associated with possible closed soft tissue and vascular damage… both of which would require possible surgical intervention… you friend care to explain why that alone does not warrant an EMS transport… not to mention your husbands lone efforts to get you to a car and transport POV… I think someone needs to inquire on a ride along….

Generally if a thread has been dead for almost a year and a half, like this one and some of the others you've commented on, the discussion has pretty much run its course.

However, while I'm not entirely sure how you're even finding some of these discussions, if it floats your boat to dig up threads from years past then by all means keep digging. With this version of the site you can probably go back to 2005 if you're interested.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.