Be Careful Out There: Paramedic Traumatic Stress Recovery

Hi EMT City Members

I'm an Advanced Care Paramedic and the EMS Coordinator of York Region's Critical Incident Stress Management Team, in Ontario, Canada.

EMT/ Paramedics are a vulnerable population to the effects of traumatic stress

I would like to share three short films I have created and recently posted on Youtube that concerns the EMT/ Paramedic Profession.

Go to Youtube and type in: Conversdoc channel

Click on: Conversdoc's Channel selection

1- Behind the Mask: Paramedic Occupational Traumatic Stress

2- The Trauma of Loss

3- Person-Based Ethics: Human Maps

If you find value in these films, could you could distribute them to EMT/ Paramedic Students and Colleagues.

(I have no commercial interest in them)

The response to these films thus far from around the world is remarkable. Paramedics from far and wide agree that these films capture their experience.

In the months to come I will be creating more material on how to build professional resilience in the aftermath of a traumatic event. Please check back on my Youtube Channel: Conversdoc Channel. Embedded in my Youtube channel is my Facebook link.

Together lets enable ourselves and assist our peers to grow resilience, and at the same time improve patient safety and outcomes.

Thanks for your time

David Whitley RN,ACP,BA,BScN

So what kind of actual counseling or psychological education, not training, do you have to be undertaking such an endeavour? You're in a unique position with this to cause more harm than help.

Did you see the videos he posted? They are simply about awareness and are not in any way trying to diagnose or treat any illness.

Yeah. I watched the videos. I'm not impressed. Nor am I really sure what the point is. Therapy for the OP? I'm not sure how they would raise awareness for anything. Nor do I think that it "captures my experience". (What? Like that surprises you?)

Part of my concern revolves around the OP's comments that he's looking to "build professional resilience in the aftermath of a traumatic event". This is where it gets dicey. There is no one size fits all approach to this. What works for some will crush and destroy others. That's why I was asking if he had any formal education regarding counseling or psychology on which to build this "professional resilience building".

Yeah. I watched the videos. I'm not impressed. Nor am I really sure what the point is. Therapy for the OP? I'm not sure how they would raise awareness for anything. Nor do I think that it "captures my experience". (What? Like that surprises you?)

Part of my concern revolves around the OP's comments that he's looking to "build professional resilience in the aftermath of a traumatic event". This is where it gets dicey. There is no one size fits all approach to this. What works for some will crush and destroy others. That's why I was asking if he had any formal education regarding counseling or psychology on which to build this "professional resilience building".

I took it as more of an FYI thing. They were not what I expected, but that's OK. LIke I said- the one story about the guy who turned to the bottle just seemed to be a cautionary tale- essentially be certain you have positive coping skills or you could be in big trouble later on...

Conversdoc, I have some real resistance to CISD in EMS. I think there are a lot of well intentioned people who try to enter this area and make it there "nitche". I've been through some tough calls and I've experienced formal CISD and informal debriefing. Here's my beef. So far, I know of 4 pieces of research that address CISD in EMS. 2 have demonstrated no benifit from formal CISD debriefing and two have demonstrated higher incidences of PTSD in the debriefed group.

How do we factor in the lack of any demonstratable evidence that this helps any of us. (And the evidence that it might do harm)?

I think we need to address these issues before we prescribe any more CISD techniques.

• 9 months later...

Some people are better at this job when it comes to stress, I am sure. The ones who are able to just not care that much or don't get emotionally involved.

Or those who are capable of dealing with the distress in a healthy and safe manner. :unsure:

Edited by Arctickat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.