Patient chest pain

Ok then... any exopthalmos? He's got a thyroid storm of some sort occurring. Could have been triggered by any number of things... boyo needs some Lugol's and supportive care at this point. Fluids, cooling, quiet environment, punt to higher level provider than me...

It would explain the increased metabolism (can't get full), hyperthermia, flushed skin, agitation, and diarrhea.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

No eye buldging noted.

Yes this is an abnormal case of thyroid storm. His upper respiratory tract infection caused excess levels of thyroid hormones T3 and T4 to be released over the last couple of days which is why his metabolism, diarrhea, and hunger has increased so much. His heart has gone into A-Fib with RVR due to the increase in hormone. He is heading to cardiovascular collapse in a quick fashion. He needs to be cooled down. The classic symptoms here would be: Hot dry red skin, wide pulse pressures (Note wide BP), minor rapid respirations, fast heart rate, and diarrhea and excessive hunger.

Infections are a big cause to set off thyroid storms.

Your formatting is wonky.

Funny how ONE LITTLE LAB VALUE changes your entire clinical outlook. That's why I look at labs and trends on patients I'm assigned in clinicals.

;-)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Yea we had to write oral station scenarios for my test prep class for NREMT-P and I wrote the one I gave on here. I hope yall thought it was as interesting as I thought it was. I had a lot of aggrevated medic students trying to figure it out.