33 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend and classmate of mine is highly allergic to latex, as in anaphylactic shock. My agency is completely latex free but hers isn't. They still use latex tourniquets for IV starts and latex NCs and band aids. She's tried to get them to change over, but with little success. Go figure. I'm all for a latex ban. Besides, the colorful gloves are a conversation piece with some people :D

We use non latex tourniquet... I do not support the ban and here is why.. ever tried to feel intricate parts of the body with vinyl gloves ? Sorry it is not the same... yes, if you are allergic to latex use something else.. if not so be it.

I think you will find it hard to see physicians and especially surgeons ever switching over... I know most thorough a fit when those kits come with vinyl gloves, nothing like trying to feel a bleeder or part of an organ with a vinyl glove on .

Lot of people think plastic and latex are the same.. nasal cannulas and most catheters etc.. are made of plastic vinyl not latex... (rubber) ...

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

We use non latex tourniquet... I do not support the ban and here is why.. ever tried to feel intricate parts of the body with vinyl gloves ? Sorry it is not the same... yes, if you are allergic to latex use something else.. if not so be it.

I think you will find it hard to see physicians and especially surgeons ever switching over... I know most thorough a fit when those kits come with vinyl gloves, nothing like trying to feel a bleeder or part of an organ with a vinyl glove on .

Lot of people think plastic and latex are the same.. nasal cannulas and most catheters etc.. are made of plastic vinyl not latex... (rubber) ...

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

I agree about vinyl: it's really hard to get a good 'feel' with them. Good fitting nitrile, on the other hand, can give you the same 'touch' that latex does. I spent a period of time in the OR as a scrub [in the Army reserve] and worked with a couple of docs with latex problems. The entire team would wear nitrile and we had no problems. There's a bit of a learning curve involved, but it can work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.