A couple questions regarding NR approved programs

a couple questions regarding programs:

can NR approved programs skip over various material? As in not lecture or test on various chapters(pediatrics, etc.)

can NR approved programs offer at-home open book testing for the module tests?

Please call the Registry. They are the approving agency regarding this class. Although we can offer opinions in this forum we can't tell you what the registry will or will not say about your class. You will need to get the answer directly from them.

If the national registry approved it then I would suspect they will allow it but per my most recent post which I urge you to read, you need to Call the registry. No one but them can tell you the answer to your question.

I would recommend what everyone else has. Call the National registry and ask. If they don't know contact your state EMS office. In fact you may want to call the state first as like Island EMT stated I have not heard of a NR approved program but I could be wrong. Contact both offices. Best of luck to you in your training

Interesting that it is the National Registry doing this i.e. a private company with no licensing power whatsoever as opposed to the CoAEMSP or CAAHEP (which used to be part of the AMA)

I wonder if Kaplan are going to start accrediting medical schools because they administer the UMSLE and COMLEX on behalf of the FSMB; the members of which are actual entities with legislative power to grant licenses to practice unlike the NREMT.

The NR has set a requirement that from 2013 all Paramedic applicants must have graduated from an "accredited" program; but its not the NR that is accrediting the programs; it is CAAHEP/CoAEMSP

So I am wondering why the NR wants to be the one to accredit EMT programs vs. the CAAHEP/CoAEMSP who are the education experts? Seems like a funny double standard and a lot of unnecessary duplication and a potential conflict of interest in that the NR obviously wants as many people as possible to cough up their money and take the NREMT tests so isn't that a wee bit like the fox investigating the chickens?

Oh and OP, the NR does not "approve" programs (your phrase), that is a function of the state in which the program is taken; the only requirement the NREMT has regarding the program you take is that it be state approved apart from that they don't care; which is why sixteen week Paramedicfighters from the Houston Fire Department can take the Paramedic exam.

Thus the need to call the registry at (614) 888-4484 and ask this question since you have gotten answers all over the board here on this thread.

And since you don't say what state you are from, you should also google your state bureau of EMS and call them directly and ask the same exact question and get their answer as well.

You will then have a answer to your question. See I've done half the work for you.

But it appears that the OP has not returned to the discussion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.