First code (about flipping time) and my first intubation a few days after

runswithneedles

The most important thing I can see in this is that you really need to work on the way you present yourself here. I didn't read this post orginally because of the "about flippen time" comment, sorry just rubbed me the wrong way :) When your in this business you must always be aware of your surroundings and those that are in it. You have to make sure those kids didn't get the feeling that you or your partner didn't do everything you could because he was a druggie. (not saying that is what happened). The way you presented this is you made a judgement on somebodys life style and the sooner you learn not to judge the better.

My suggestion to the Druggies issue is that you do alittle research on why people become drug addicts in the first place. They dont wake up one morning and say "I want to be a druggies". There are many reasons they are and some of them are very layered and complex. The sooner you learn human nature also the better, because it will help you along the way and always remember that you will not always know both sides of a story so don't judge when you only see one.

Good luck in you endevors

Happy

• Like 1

My suggestion to the Druggies issue is that you do alittle research on why people become drug addicts in the first place. They dont wake up one morning and say "I want to be a druggies". There are many reasons they are and some of them are very layered and complex. The sooner you learn human nature also the better, because it will help you along the way and always remember that you will not always know both sides of a story so don't judge when you only see one.

Excellent abstract.

Unfortunately, that`s what we/humans mostly do - we judge the character of the person from the impression we get on the only encounter we have with them.

@OP: You can think what you want, but I`d advise you to be careful to whom you present your thoughts, especially if they take the form of some of the recent comments...

That drunk you encounter lying on the boardwalk at night, covered in his own filth, vomitting, speaking incoherently - he might have suffered tragic circumstances; he might have only spent a night out with this buddies and couldn`t keep up; he might have been thrown into the unforgiving spiral many alcoholics have encountered.

Or he might have not,

Does it matter? Not really, at least it shouldn`t, reffering to your treatment.

Do I always question the path a patient choose and the reasons he had to choose it, which led him to our encounter? `Course not. But I think it`s important to at least realize, that there`s often so much more to the story, than you could ever grasp in that little time you spent with your patient.

Is it enough to make a valid judgement? Nope.

Does that refer to everyday-life as well? Yes.

Is it possible to (always) withhold a subjective personal judgement? Nope.

But I think it`s important to realize that the small intake you gather by observing a flicker of the time of a life of a person, ain`t enough to build an objective judgement.