Is it possible to be an emt with a terminal illness?

Oh return to spring,

Waiting for a government office to respond could take until another spring. Tou may have to expand your methods of contacting them with your question. Email is one way but there is also snail mail and telephones.

Looking at the NJ EMS web site http://www.state.nj.us/health/ems/

"Due to increased security, ALL visitors to the Office of Emergency Medical Services MUST have a scheduled appointment with OEMS staff. No "walk-ins" will be permitted. Visitors must have a valid government photo ID with them to present to security upon entering the building." so don't drop in!

Mailing Address:

NJ Department of Health and Senior Services

Office of Emergency Medical Services

PO Box 360

Trenton, NJ 08625-0360

OEMS Telephone Number: (609) 633-7777

OEMS FAX Number: (609) 633-7954

and at the bottom of http://www.state.nj.us/health/ems/feedback.shtml

there is a place to ask questions!

• Like 1

If the EMT path doesn't work for you, have you considered nursing or PA school?

While I am generally not fond of the "mid levels" who want all the autonomy of a Doctor but not go to medical school it appears for you blokes in US you can get a good career path for yourself and rake in the bling as a PA or CRNA

In my experience, most PAs and NPs don't want to be doctors. They understand their level and are happy with that. It is the militant DNPs that want a back door into the MD/DO role that is a problem and luckily they are the minority, albeit very vocal and powerful. One of my best friends from high school is going to CRNA school and I get a dig in evey time I can.

There is definitely an answer to the health workforce problems that does not involve just generating more Doctors (although that is certainly required)

I think there is definitely some merit in a mid level who has appropriate education being able to order certain tests, prescribe and refer within a very limited scope e.g. diabetes, cardiovascular, general practice. I do not support these people being able to "diagnose". It has been a very long hard road for our Nurse Practitioners getting prescribing rights, e.g. a diabetes NP cannot prescribe ACE inhibitors. We do not want PA's here and there has been overwhelmingly negative reaction to the small (2x PA) trial that is going on here or may have just ended. The Royal Australasian College of Anaesthetists furiously refutes any suggestion of a CRNA type person to fix our Anaesthesia workforce shortage.

So I think this person could have a great career as an NP or a PA; now why do I want to be a Physician and not an NP? Quite simple, you cannot get a blue suit with "AMBULANCE DOCTOR" written on the back as an NP now can you?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.