Is it possible to be an emt with a terminal illness?

:c well that sucks. What if you just answer no to both of them? Or are you not allowed?

If you answer no to either and it is later discovered that you lied, you'd be fired on the spot and probably blacklisted from working anywhere in the province again. In fact, you might reduce your chances. Many operators will bend over backwards to help an obviously physically challenged person succeed at their job, it's great PR.

If you have a cardiac condition that compromises your ability to perform the physical duties of the job and you have the very likely potential of becoming ill/unsafe while performing the job, I would strongly recommend that you look at a different field... like I said earlier, what about your duty to the PATIENT? You may want to do something more than anything in the world, but if your ability to provide good patient care will be compromised, you have no business lying to screening questions...

No offense, but there's certain disqualifying conditions for a reason. There's much better avenues to be useful/helpful in. Think larger! Think broader scope! Different field! But if you have heart attacks a lot and congenital cardiac abnormalities that can't be fixed, why would you put yourself on an ambulance as a provider? I know a gal that fits this description. She's an elementary school para and fiction author. There's plenty of fulfilling avenues in life that won't put other people at risk.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

If you have a cardiac condition that compromises your ability to perform the physical duties of the job and you have the very likely potential of becoming ill/unsafe while performing the job, I would strongly recommend that you look at a different field... like I said earlier, what about your duty to the PATIENT? You may want to do something more than anything in the world, but if your ability to provide good patient care will be compromised, you have no business lying to screening questions...

No offense, but there's certain disqualifying conditions for a reason. There's much better avenues to be useful/helpful in. Think larger! Think broader scope! Different field! But if you have heart attacks a lot and congenital cardiac abnormalities that can't be fixed, why would you put yourself on an ambulance as a provider? I know a gal that fits this description. She's an elementary school para and fiction author. There's plenty of fulfilling avenues in life that won't put other people at risk.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Look, i don't mean to sound rude or anything but can you please stop? I got the idea you don't want me doing this because of the patient. But at least be nice enough to suggest some other things instead of just go someplace else. =_= the question was about certification anyway. Please don't blast someone with a hose. Paint is much more humane and colorful.

There are many other jobs that require an EMT certification yet do not have the physical requirements. Dispatch would be one option, Public/Media relations another.

I think Wendy was trying to suggest other alternatives to you while being a certified EMT. She's just being honest in that you are unlikely to be able to work in the field. read ambulance.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

Look, i don't mean to sound rude or anything but can you please stop? I got the idea you don't want me doing this because of the patient. But at least be nice enough to suggest some other things instead of just go someplace else. =_= the question was about certification anyway. Please don't blast someone with a hose. Paint is much more humane and colorful.

I did suggest other things. Support groups. Working in different fields. Finding other means of fulfillment. I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm trying to be honest with you and open your eyes to the fact that you can't just focus on "I want to do this because it helps people" or "I want to do this because it's cool" without being honest as to whether or not those decisions will put the people you want to help at risk. I'm not going to give you false hope, and I'm going to paint you a clear, honest picture.

Let me rephrase a bit. I'm totally OK with you taking EMT classes. I'm totally OK with you possessing certification. I'm not OK with you lying to potential employers about your physical status because you think it's OK because it's something you really want to do. That puts your coworkers, yourself, your patients, and bystanders at risk, especially if you're the one driving...

If you tell me you have uncontrolled seizures, but you really really want to drive, and ask me if it's OK to lie when you go to get your driver's license, I'm going to give you the same kind of response.

I'm not in your shoes. I don't know what your actual, total status is. I want to encourage you to find as much fulfillment as possible, but I'm not going to feed you a happy bullshit line of "sure! Anyone and everyone who wants to should be a working EMT!" beacuse it's what you were hoping to hear... I don't roll that way. I will support you, and help you in any way I can, but I won't ever lie to you. Ask the other folks on the forum about that, if you don't believe me.

I really hope you find a way to work in the community in a way that gives you fulfillment. Based on the limited information I have, I don't think it's safe for you to be an EMT in the field. If you want to be an EMT and work as a community liason, in education, etc. that would be awesome! You can offer a unique perspective since you've had to avail yourself of EMS services... it's easier to explain certain things once you've actually experienced it.

Hope that helps...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 1

Doing what in other fields? Owo im sorry for being an ass....;-; anyway, i wouldn't now i know that little question actually does matter. Plus I'm not 18 so i couldn't drive or lift or eveb be counted as an emt even being one. There'd still be 2 others. But thank you for being honest ^_^ im so sorry.....

Edited by Lotus

There are many other jobs that require an EMT certification yet do not have the physical requirements. Dispatch would be one option, Public/Media relations another.

Not to be a wet blanket, but some EMS agencies require that, if needed, those working in the Emergency Medical Dispatch office be capable of being deployed to the field, as all were already EMT or Paramedic, just to be IN the service.

I use as example of this, a fire at a major hospital (Coney Island Hospital), where they were contemplating out and out evacuation of this facility. All of the personnel in my EMD were advised, just seconds before they were supposed to sign out at the end of their tour, that they were mandated for overtime, were to grab their gear, and await transportation to various stations to activate "spare" ambulances and respond to that hospital.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.