Is it possible to be an emt with a terminal illness?

Do they not have phones in NJ with which to call the office? Or were they a victim of Christie's budget slashing?

It is, after all, New Jersey. The only state that'll let you in for free but makes you pay to get out. Either of the above options are a legitimate possibility.

As the question regards getting certified, I can't think of any reason that it would cause you any grief at all unless the terminal illness is contagious.

I can't think of any questions on any of the forms that ask for such information. None asked if I had both arms and legs, lung function, mental status (maybe, but I don't think so), nor an estimation of my projected life expectancy. I've seen about a gazillion 400 pounders get certified and if you're able to consider taking an EMT course I'm guessing that you're healthier than they are.

If you're in class, rock on! Keep your health info to yourself unless specifically asked and enjoy the ride.

Unless the illness makes you mentally and/or obviously physically unsound I can't really see where it's an issue. Not the use of 'obviously.'

I've not gotten involved in this thread because I was pretty confident that it was meant to turn to 'poor me'....I'm sorry I thought like that as it certainly doesn't seem to be the issue.

If you're in class then I'm guessing that you're speaking of an illness like Huntington's as I'm having a hard time thinking of many conditions known terminal yet would leave you healthy enough to pursue a physical career like EMS.

Just keep your personal information personal and if your days are truly numbered, then screw the rest of it, right?

• Like 1

I agree Dwayne. Her personal info is her business and the state be damned. If she wants to get certified then I say, get right in there, screw the nay sayers and certify all the way to physician but from what I'm getting in my conversation with this beautiful young lady is that that might not be in the cards.

So I tell her in all honesty, take it as far as you can Lotus, you can always count on me and many of us here to discuss, digest, dissect and tear apart anything you throw at us and we can certainly argue among the best if Dwayne and I have shown that in the past.

Go as far as you can, I for one will help you go further, and I know Dwayne would help you as well if both of us could get to where you are and you are in need. I know many others on this forum would do the same. So why not go all the way to physician, If it's a dream you have, it's a dream you have, why not strive for it.

Capn

• Like 1

Is it possible to get certified? Probably.

Is it possible to get hired? Maybe not, depending on the health screening and physical requirements of the agency being applied for...

Is it wise, if the illness will inhibit your ability to be a competent provider? Anything neurodegenerative would have to be tread very carefully with... make sure whoever this is (you or a "friend") is taking into account the PATIENT. Not just "I want to do this" but "Is this the best thing for me AND my patients?"

Personally, if I knew I had a terminal illness, I'd put my brain to work on other things than EMT work... I'd see as much of the world as I could, and probably work with others facing an early demise... you can do good for patients in many more arenas than EMS, so good judgment is a good thing here...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I agree with dwayne and capt, with one exception. Instead of the question being "can you" maybe it should be "should you"? Without knowing the disease at play here it is difficult to say, but most terminal illnesses at some point or another result in a weakened immune system, so being around sick people as a career might not be wise for your long-term prognosis. You also have to figure out whether or not you can complete the course in time, you did not say how long you think you have. Most classes are nearing the 2 year mark with all the core courses they have thrown in now. I am not sure that I would choose to spend my last year(s) in school, but if that is your dream then go for it.

As far as "can you ?", the only things that I see in your way is if you are so frail that you can not pass a physical at hiring or can not meet the lifting requirements due to weakness, or you are so visibly frail that anyone could tell you were sick and would not hire you out of whatever rational or irrational fear they have about that. Good luck to you, we are here to help in any way that we can.

** add Wendy in there too, I agree (she posted right before I posted, did not see her comments prior to sending mine).

Edited by mikeymedic1984

I worked in New Jersey for a couple of years as an EMT and recertified a couple of times. I can't ever recall seeing any physical fitness questions on the applications, and I don't know of anyone who has ever been denied an EMT certification because of one. That being said, it has been several years since I worked there and things might have changed. Mind you, this is simply talking about being certified, you can sit through a class, take the exams, pass, etc. and get your certification, but practising as an EMT may be a whole other story. OEMS for the State of New Jersey can be a little slow on the draw, but they are reasonable people and if you stay on their telephone tree long enough you usually can get through to someone.

Thank you guys :) that person said there was a fitness part to the state exam and days later now he tella me he was joking about all that x.x and its just emt so its only for 1 more month to go! :D and a poor me type of person couldnt go into ems without it eating them alive and disregarding their patients i would imagine....

If what you told me tonight is correct, and if this relates to you specifically, then your becoming an EMT will be impossible

I say that based solely on what you told me tonight, I will not openly state what you told me cos I don't know if that's OK with you :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.