Drawing Salve

Chief1C

Obviously, this is in the personal section, and has nothing to do with EMS.

I could Google this, and get a bunch of crap that says what a product could do.. So, I bought this Prid Black Salve today - at the farm & feed store. The clerk assured me it could be used on humans too. So, I was fighting a fire a couple weeks ago with my water supply on my back. I climbed over a wooden fence, and got poked by a sliver, dangerously close to my boys. Not all of it pulled back out, took some "pale & sweaty" digging to get the rest out. Today, I noticed it's healed but not in a good way. Has anyone used drawing salve, and actually had a foreign object come back to the surface? Not looking for medical advice, in theory, I can handle that end. MacGyver Surgery, ha ha. Ideas? My grandma suggested adhesive tape, but I think that's an old wives tale for drawing metal out. This is just old wood.

I have no experience with Prid Black salve but I am pretty sure you don't want to get it anywhere near more sensitive parts. It might be a little surprising! :)

A few years back I had some sore spots on my face and went to see the Dermatologist. He had no idea what was wrong but gave me some Solaraze gel to put on the sore spots. After three days they festered. When I opened the pustules I found small pieces of metal. It had been years since I worked on a welding crew. When i called the doc and told him he said it was an unintended result of diclofenac sodium and he would remember that it acted as a drawing salve.

I have also used veterinary Numotizine as a drawing salve and it seems to work pretty well. In my experience Numotizine will cause draw the offending particle toward the surface and often form a pustule. I have found that injecting Xilocaine or NS under the pustule flushes whatever is contained in it out quite nicely.

If it's near my boys, only a doctor is going there. Maybe my wife but not with a knife.

call your doc.

Infections down there can cause all sorts of havoc