Click here o see a profanity and share in my frusteration

mobey

When a pregnant woman codes in front of you, and you eventually choose to stop CPR, you must take into account you are essentially choosing exactly the moment her unborn baby will die right in front of you, while under your care.

Sometimes being a Paramedic fucking sucks.

Feel free to turn this thread into whatever you want, I just want those who do what I do, to agree, sometimes our job sucks!

I agree. There are moments on this job that you wish you could scrub from your memory forever. It's the few and far between moments that actually make us smile that make every day worth getting up and going to work you need to hold on to.

Sorry to hear what was quite obviously a very tough call, both in its entirety and in the decisions you had to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I agree with you. It sucks. I've been there and done that. But I can't take your place right now and I don't want to so I will lend you my ear, and give you my shoulder and provide you a tissue.

I have the luxury of no hospital being more than 15 minutes away. I don't know the circumstances of the call in question, or if the option of "Load and Go" CPR to the nearest OB-Labor ward for an emergency C-Section was available.

All I can say is, it always sucks when we lose a patient, more when there's more than one patient being worked on. If available, and if you feel this becoming a personal issue, seek out the department psychologist, psychiatrist, or the clergy of your choice, and discuss it. Can't hurt, and might help.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

Thanks all.

Ya, I was as usual, more than an hour away from any hospital, and with a cardiac arrest post-head trauma, the writing is on the wall, even if she was alive when I got there and ran a near perfect ACLS code, the statistics are just not in some patients favor.

I am dealing with it pretty good now, I was just trying to rationalize it the last few days eg: Gods plan/everything happends for a reason/etc etc

The rationality I ended up with was "Sometimes bad things happen and due to my career of choice I have to be a part of that, therefore sometimes this job sucks".

Works for me.

Good news is, the very next patient I had was a pulmonary fibrosis with sepsis & pneumonia I had to RSI. I called the ICU this morning and they are taking her off the vent today, nice to get a win the day after a loss.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.