Oh how I despise the NREMT CBT...

So, I just recerted via test on the NREMT CBT (National Registry of EMTs Computer Based Testing)

I had a ton of time to prepare, but as I considered doing so decided that as I've so arrogantly crowed that it was a ridiculously simple test that it would be hypocritical to do so, so chose to go in with the info in my head instead of studying. I felt that if I couldn't pass the minimum standard to be a medic without cramming, then I really shouldn't be a medic.

I knew from the first 10 questions that I was completely screwed. Many of the questions revolved around "What is the most likely medication that they would prescribe after hand-off at the ER?" (The listed medications most often being PO pharms for disrhythmias)

I decided to follow my own advice and take the test as a basic and only answer as a medic when forced to do so as well as follow the multiple choice test taking advice that I'd been given in the past.

One question resolved, after eliminating the 'throw away' and 'distractor' questions to 'Hyperadrenalism' or 'Hypoadrenalism' terms that though I could imagine the possible root pathologies referenced I'd never specifically heard before. After Googling I certainly recognized Cushing's disease...I'm not sure why the terms didn't resolve to the same thing in my head. It was convinced that it's time for some serious review.

The test shut off after 92 questions, the only thing giving me hope was that the question that it concluded on I was 100% sure that I'd gotten correct.

After finding that I had in fact passed I at first wanted to cry from shame that I'd chosen a career that consider such a test appropriate, then got kind of excited that I didn't have to try and find a recert course, and then wanted to scream from frustration that I'd passed with so little confidence in my performance. Having failed would have been a pain in the ass, but would have at least allowed me some respect for the testing process.

I can think of almost no questions on the entire test that would have come up had two intelligent medical providers been talking. (Daily our truly intelligent providers prove to me that I have no right to make such a distinction, but you know what I mean.)

What a complete waste of resources. If the NR would spend half of the money that they spend convincing people that they are creating a national standard on actually creating a test that was a logical national standard then perhaps we'd have something....

Grrrrrrrrr.....

• Like 2

The ONLY thing the national registry does is write & administer test so that the various states don't have to spend their own limited funds to do the same.

I lied: They also collect lots of money from folks forced to kowtow to their system because it's the only game in town. they are like the utility companies: A monopoly that you can't make a choice of where to take your business.

As far as the adaptive CBT , it is supposed to be intelligent and sense where your strong & weak points are, & adapt the questions you see to go after your weak points until it is happy that you either don't have a clue : or really do know the material in their questions.

Like anything "done by committee" , it is a compilation of what a large group of folks think you should be tested on.

• Like 1

That did help actually. I still hate it, but it sounds like the intent is good...

Twenty dollars to recertify at the paramedic level by mail or $110 for CBT really isn't much when compared to other health care professionals. Frustration over the exam aside, we as an industry could be doing much, much worse.

I'm not sure how money came into to tell the truth. But I guess if cost of testing is our only standard then we really do have it good.

From a point of view of testing for competence, I'm not so sure...

You know Admin, after sleeping on the video I maybe feel differently now.

If the adaptation process means that a person will be wrong 50% of the time than I guess it makes sense that the test would seem ridiculous...

I don't completely reverse my previous opinions yet, but thanks to your information, I really have to give it some thought and see how much is poor question development and how much is simply the unsupported 'flavor' that I was left with after the test causing me to form an incorrect opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to post the vid..that's cool as hell....

It is great that you can pass the test without studying what is less amazing that you had the guts to take it just to find out how much you still remember!

We have talked about this before my thoughts on my experience with NREMT B are in the following link.

Good job brother! I hope I can do so well fresh out of school!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.