Trying something new

Vorenus

So, I posted a while back about my possible plans of studying Paramedic Science/Practice in Great Britain.

I did apply for some of these courses, recieved interviews for two of them, but even before getting the interview dates, I decided to withdraw from that plan, to try out something else.

I`ve always been interested in reading and writing and had this always in the back of my mind.

So I randomly searched for distance learning courses on the internet, without a specific plan at first.

I found this distance-learning University which sounded really nice and after weighing up my options and trying to figure out what I really wanted/want to do (I`m always a little bit undecided and the process still hasn`t ended), I decided to start a BA English Literature.

I`ll do it through distance-learning, so I`ll still be working full-time EMS for the time being. It`ll also be alot cheaper than studying at a brick uni and I`ll be able to support myself financially while studying, so I don`t need to take a loan or anything (something I had a really bad feeling about when thinking about doing the Para at a brick uni).

Regardless of that, I`ll still try to get my german title accredited with the HPC, which would be great if it worked out, as it would enable me to work as a Para in the UK (which would be really cool and it doesn`t really matter where you are when you study through distance-kearning, which is the great thing).

I`m still a litlle bit unsure about the whole thing, but I really want to try this out for now, for I feel like I`ll never do it if not now, you know.

My first course will start in April, and I`m already really excited.

I don`t really know where this will lead me in the end, nevertheless I think this is the right thing to do for now, and ultimately it will open a lot of new opportunities for me, regardless of wether I`ll take them or not.

Just thought I`d let you all know (although some already do through chat).

What will you do with an English Lit degree? I ask, because my BA is in English. It was cool as heck to study, lots of fun, enjoyed writing and analyzing texts... but I don't use it professionally...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

What will you do with an English Lit degree? I ask, because my BA is in English. It was cool as heck to study, lots of fun, enjoyed writing and analyzing texts... but I don't use it professionally...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Hm... I`m not sure to be honest, but the british job market seems to be pretty open, they tell that around 60% of graduate jobs aren`t linked to a specific degree, so you can do alot of different things (apart from the obvious specific-degree-linked ones like science and such).

I love the possibility of conversion courses, like 1 year postgraduate teachers training, 1 year psychology/law conversion, postgraduate entry medicine - there just seem so many possibilities, which is really amazing, for the german job market/the HE is really rather stiff and unflexible.

So, I dunno, as said above, let`s see where this leads me. I`d like something to do with writing...possibly? Might as well end up still working EMS after all, but I guess I`ll enjoy it and right now I just feel like I at least need the opportunity to do something different to feel comfortable.

Go for post graduate medicine mate; we will eventually make it to The London but of course you know we'll have to do paper-scissors-rock with Gareth Davies for who goes on the helicopter that particular day :D

Thames, Medevac, airborne ...

• Like 1

Go for post graduate medicine mate; we will eventually make it to The London but of course you know we'll have to do paper-scissors-rock with Gareth Davies for who goes on the helicopter that particular day :D

Thames, Medevac, airborne ...

Yeah, let`s see how it all turns out in the end.

...but I should propably tell you right know - I always win at rock-paper-scissors... ;)

Congratulations! That is wonderful. It is great when people in EMS are able to advance their education (in any field), especially if you might be able to use some downtime at work to do some uni work!

Congratulations! That is wonderful. It is great when people in EMS are able to advance their education (in any field), especially if you might be able to use some downtime at work to do some uni work!

Yeah, I hope to be able to do that.

I`m not sure about assignments and essays, for I hate it when I have to start all over again and get into thought process again, but textbooks and set literature for sure.

Well what you can do with the degree you are getting is to come here to this site and teach most of those here, myself included, a lesson on grammar or two. English lit my ass.

Edited by Captain Kickass