EMS pics

kittychemistemt

Welcome.

Why are you wearing gloves, in the front seat, holding the radio? What a great way to contaminate the cab of your ambulance!

I do not wear any identifying EMS clothing unless I'm working. And then it's only uniform items. Can't help you with off duty wearing of EMS related/novelty shirts.

I'm with you, Mike. I EMS garb only when working.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Pink Tapatalk

And I can see that there is a professional stamp at the bottom of your pic, so no worries about the gloves in the cab. Just as long as you know it's a terrible idea in real life.

Hey Dwayne... just curious since you and Mike both mentioned it, do you never wear gloves in the cab? Dirty gloves is obviously a no no, but what about on the way to the call? (with gloves that are hopefully new and clean) Or do you guys wait until you get there? Probably seems like a bit of a stupid question, but it seems like how we do it is one of those (many) things in EMS that is very strong in the various organizational cultures.

Yeah, I had no issues with her picture as it's obvious that she was posed for it....

But in answer to your question, I don't think that I've ever worn gloves in the cab. I put mine on on scene when I worked the streets, and now I usually have quick access in the clinic, but if I'm in the ambulance I put them on enroute due to having so many unfamiliar as well as familiar diseases in PNG.

Hey Dwayne... just curious since you and Mike both mentioned it, do you never wear gloves in the cab? Dirty gloves is obviously a no no, but what about on the way to the call? (with gloves that are hopefully new and clean) Or do you guys wait until you get there? Probably seems like a bit of a stupid question, but it seems like how we do it is one of those (many) things in EMS that is very strong in the various organizational cultures.

Putting your gloves on prior to arriving on scene is an added risk in that you might puncture them getting equipment out or if the truck is harboring some hidden nasties, cross contaminating your current pt.

there was a study done a few years ago where they swabbed the same twenty places in ambulances from 20 different services. The highest bacteria counts grew out from the steering wheel , the inside door handles of the box and on the microphone for the radios.

Why you ask? Because the working area of the pt compartment and the equipment in the back gets lots of attention to cleaning & disinfecting, while the cab get a cursory wipe down.

Besides if you put your gloves on prior to arriving you increase the likelihood of sweating and developing contact dermatitis on your hands.

edited to add

Just so you know, I put my gloves on once I've reached the patient and made my initial EYEBALL assessment.

Edited by island emt

I don't wear gloves prior to patient contact, either. Certainly not in the cab on the way to the call or when I'm driving. I'll usually put them on, as IslandEMT noted, once I've reached the patient. Now that I'm doing more clinic based work I'll wash my hands first then only put gloves on before I actually touch the patient.

Coincidentally, when I clean the ambulance I clean everything from front bumper to back bumper. I'll wash the outside and decon anything that gets touched on the inside both front and back. I do that every shift. I'm a little OCD about it, honestly. I'm also sure that's no surprise to many of you.

I generally don't glove up until I get to the scene- with one exception.

When we are going to a known bonafide shooting or other potentially bloody situation, I double glove enroute. It is far easier to take off a pair of heavily soiled gloves and have another pair still on to use. I find it is very difficult and time consuming to put a new pair on after your hands are already sweaty.

When I worked in the big city and we were on the way to a known shooting , stabbing , slashing, serious MVC etc, we would pull a pair of heavy duty playtex kitchen scrubbing gloves with the long cuffs on over the latex gloves. They are much heavier and could be shucked off without exposing your hands. I still keep a couple pairs of them in the jump bag.

Of course that was 10 yrs into my practicing , when all of a sudden they decided we need gloves for protection.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.