Worried Mother!

I think there is a possibility that this could have been building or days before this LOC. If she's a new mother she may have rationalized Abdo pain away as post partum normality. Since nursing moms are commonly advised to increase their oral intake of fluid age may have also rationalized the polydipsia and polyuria as a normal part of the transition. Any number of factors could have led to this being solely the result of DKA. I do agree with you though kiwi, it is highly suspicious as the only cause so being cognizant of this would be most prudent.

Since theres a 2nd unit on scene one can go to pedER and one to adultER. I know that adultER's should be able to care for baby but since pedER is closer and deals with peds more often I think that would be the better choice for baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not all doctors that work in the ER are trained on peds. We still have IM trained guys that work in ERs. They have no formal training in peds other than their 6-8 week rotation as a med student. ER and Family med trained doctors have plenty of peds training, though the FM guys may not have much peds critial care experience.

Like mentioned, reunion in a couple of days. No better place to take a dehydrated sick little baby than a pediatric facility.

if you have two facilities 5 minutes apart then you are doing that little kid absolutely NO justice by bringing him to the adult facility. None. As a matter of fact I would ask you to justify your choice and rationale as to why you would choose the adult facility over the pediatric facility.

and the first person who says "I don't want to separate the baby from the mom" fails this test and must go back to remedial first responder school.

my rationale is yes adult facilities have to be able to take care of little kiddos but a standalone pediatric facility that takes care of children every day day in and day out 7 days a week 365 days a years is infinitately more qualified to take care of sick kids than a adult facility is any day of the week. They are built specifically to cater to the needs of children and their nurses and doctors and equipment are set to handle children and nothing but children.

I don't know how many times that the hospitals I used to work in that were specifically for all ages didn't have children sized whatevers and we had to make do. I don't remember having to make do when I brought children to the ped's facilities.

So the question remains, for those who chose the adult over the peds facility, what's your rationale? it's a 5 minute difference in transport time according to the scenario.

Edited by Captain Kickass

nope that excuse is out

I really know that no-one on this board would take the wee little one to the adult facility. Especially since we have two ambucabs on scene.

Edited by Captain Kickass

nope that excuse is out

I really know that no-one on this board would take the wee little one to the adult facility. Especially since we have two ambucabs on scene.

I concur. Sick kids need to be in the in a pedi ED if one a in reasonable distance. In this case it would be ridiculous to go to a further away Adult ED.

Her temp is 35.6

I can see how that would cause confusion if you are in the US. The solution is simple. You have to change to our way of doing things!! lol =)

I presume that is temp in Celsius. If Fahrenheit, would be in a "They ain't dead, until they are warm and dead" situation.

No, too entrenched in current measurements.

Yes, I might, actually. Peds ER at peds hospital = able to take care of high risk pregnancy, right, so they MUST have some adult treatment capacity? Might be good to keep patients together if you can... Would that be appropriate?

Wendy

CO EMT-B