Paramedic Degree

Hi guys and gals. This is a post to anyone involved in the paramedic degree programs. I am collaborating information for a project and need assistance for information I am developing a clinical placement program in our local EDs and wanting to talk to others doing placement options there and see what you have set up for students. Am available via pm and chat and this board.

Many thanks in advance

Scotty

(null)

I can give you insight into the programme where I teach; however, it's in the United States, therefore I'm not sure how helpful it would be. I can give you an idea of how the clinical rotations are structured, how the preceptors work, the clinical areas that the students go through and I can let you know about our online documentation system.

I'd flip cartwheels with joy if you could work with the appropriate person (Nurse Educator or Consultant Physician etc.) to get students understanding (even if on a beginner level) things such as ...

(1) Various things O/E e.g. percussion, tactile fremitus, peripheral neuro exam, cardiac sounds maybe? I can't hear A2/P2 split to save myself)

(2) Basic biochemistries e.g. CBC, CKmb, Trop-T, MSU (U C+S), coag panel

(3) Basics of antibiotics (even if it's a penicillin is different than a macrolide which is different from a cephalosporin)

(4) Social and environment factors (e.g. beyond nana fell on the rug, why did she fall on the rug and who should we tell about it?)

(5) The early in-hospital management of status 1/2 patients (post-cardiac arrest, cardiogenic shock, DKA, major trauma/RTA, CVA etc)

Obviously learning the more ambo-orientated things like putting in a drip, 12 lead ECG acquisition and interpretation etc are quite important but I would also strongly argue so it taking three seconds to check somebodies fingers for signs of clubbing or palmar eryothema, or that the old bloke who fell over going to the loo five times in the last month because he has difficulty in mobility and lives alone so has to wait for the postie to find him etc needs referring to the falls team or home help or GP or something ...

Imparting that the risk factors for ectopic pregnancy are non-white, previous parity, smoker, IUD/OC, multiple sexual partners, previous EP and something else I am forgetting could be of use too; why? because I find it bizzare I'll go to my grave being unable to forget the risk factors for ectopic pregnancy ever since I learnt them reading Williams' Obstetrics for part of National Diploma

You may wish to talk to Brenda Costa-Scorse at AUT or Sarah Werner at St John

Edited by kiwimedic

Thank you CH, that is exactly what I am needing especially the clinical skills records and what is expected of preceptors etc.

I'll pm you my e-mail addy and can continue from there.

Scotty