Sprinter Ambulances

buckeyedoc

I've seen a couple of these running around. A dept. close to here is testing one to see if it will fit their needs. They are currently running Type I Medium Duties and Type III's on E-450's. I can't stand these things. I think they are ugly and from what I hear, not a whole lot of room in the back. Never seen one inside myself. Just thought I'd get y'all's input.

CA622_01.jpg

Space is nice, but not absolutely necessary. I worked for many years in type IIs and even low-top vans, and was never so cramped that I could not function. I actually got along pretty well in Suburbans and hearses for the first few years of my career. We've simply become spoiled.

I think the Sprinters can fill a very useful niche. Lots of systems, both urban and rural, prefer a type II for various reasons, mostly being narrow streets, alleys, and country roads in their territories that would restrict the movement of a box. For those agencies, the Sprinter offers a similar slender platform on a more reliable chassis and powerplant, with a modest increase in room. Nothing wrong with that.

nothing wrong with sprinters

here in nsw australia, they are our first line response vehicle

our roads are normally rougher than those overseas, our response area is normally greater than most o/s areas

all level of training can use them

in australia where fuel costs are now high (135 cents per litre for diesel) makes good sense to have a reliable and economic ambulance.

theu are cheaper to purchase than that of an american built truck with a purpose built back

check one of ours out at

www.asnsw.health.nsw.gov.au

stay safe

I've worked everything from high and low top Caddies, vans and modulars and really like driving and working in the back of our high top Sprinters. They are a dream to drive with excellent upfront visibility and a turning radius that feels as tight as a Toyota. You feel like a bus driver, but I guess that's why they call 'em 'busses.' In back, there's plenty of room to work-headroom galore and lots of cabinet space within easy reach. Of course, the coach maker is the key. Our two Sprinters are made by American La France with Mercedes engines. The space between the squad bench and gurney (Stryker Rugged) is a bit cramped (our high top Ford van beats the ALF here). The mechanic across town loves the Sprinters because they visit the shop often. The first one blew an engine at barely 50,000 miles and both have had "reliability problems" as the company president is fond of saying. That said, they get excellent diesel fuel mileage and look kinda cool with that Euro styling that turns heads. All things considered, I really enjoy working in these ambulances.

--Ironvic :lol:

The Sprinter is made by Mercedes (I believe). I believe they offer a turbo diesel 4 and 6 cylinder. I do know for a fact that they offer a dually model of the Sprinter. I know that FedEx, UPS, DHL, and a ton of expedited freight companies are buying up the Sprinters.

The Sprinter is made by Mercedes (I believe). I believe they offer a turbo diesel 4 and 6 cylinder. I do know for a fact that they offer a dually model of the Sprinter. I know that FedEx, UPS, DHL, and a ton of expedited freight companies are buying up the Sprinters.

true they sprinter is made by mercedes

they have a 5 cyclinder turbo charged motor

yes they do make a duel wheel version for the longer wheel base model

we use them each day and they have a 100 000 km waranty on them with road side assistance if anything does go wrong

our service dose over a million cases each year ina area bigger than texas (literally) on roads that would be considered less than what you guys considered ideal

stay safe

• 3 weeks later...

Too true Robert. I still have good memories of working in back during the Cadillac days. The big 54" headroom Superiors and Miller-Meteors could teach the new crop of ambulances a thing or two about headroom, ergonomic design, great ride and especially how to travel down the road in class. You sat side-by-side with the patient and looked him right in the eye--excellent for making good rapport with the people you serve. I still grumble that Uncle Sam in his ignorance allowed the breed to die simply because a few misguided "experts" tainted them with their funeral car first cousins. They were as close to a hearse as the Sprinter with red lights, EMS gear and sirens on a high top roof is to a FedEx van.

Hey Guys,

We have been using sprinters for about 5 years now and have recently stated moving over to the VW version of the sprinter. The sprinters never seemed to last long on gravel roads, of which there are quite a lot in SA. THe VW is cheaper to purchase, cheaper on maintenance and lasts longer on the gravel roads. I will check around to see if I can get some photo's fo them, outside as well as inside once I get off the Oil Rig in about three weeks.

All in all, compared to the previous vehicles we had (Toyota Hi-Ace) similar to your buddy vans, only with a raised fibre glass roof. It is a pleasure working in the back of these vehicles.

Regards

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.