New CEO for Alberta College of Paramedics

March 13, 2012

To: All registered practitioners

Re: CEO/Registrar for the Alberta College of Paramedics

On behalf of the governing Council for the Alberta College of Paramedics, I would like to inform you of the departure of Tammy Leach as CEO/Registrar for the College, effective March 12, 2012.

Council would like to thank Tammy for her valued contributions to the success of the College and wish her well in her future endeavors.

In the meantime, Council has appointed the College's Professional Practice/Continuing Competence Manager, Tim Essington, EMT-P, PhD, as interim CEO/Registrar.

If you have any questions, please direct them to Tim Essington at 780-410-4132 or at tim.essington@collegeofparamedics.org.

Sincerely,

Sheldon Thunstrom

Council President

This is a very positive move for ACP, I think.

Very interesting, I agree. I doubt we will ever find out all the reasons behind this sudden move, but hopefully it will result in some different directions for a governing body that has not proven to its membership that ts is responding to the needs of its members and the public.

I think that this is an opportunity for us in Alberta to become more involved, too. The organization is more likely to become more responsive if there are more of us asking for response!

Curiously enough the chosen keynote speaker for this year's AGM is none other than Fred Horne the Minister of Health???

Could this be called campaigning before an election is called? I certainly hope that representatives from the other side of the house will be present, to hear the grand announcement that we've finally been accepted under HPA, or is Mr. Horne going to be present to extinguish the possible fires generated by the "grand scheme of things being the big takeover"

I hope someone is present at the AGM to ask this very important question ?…… Just How much has this cost the Alberta taxpayer, with no improvement in services, or response times provincially.

Just what political process will be put in place to replace the CEO ? Will this be just a political conservative appointment appointment or will this position be posted nationally. If I can recall Paramedic Tim Essington is a member of the Wildrose Party ?

Now If memory serves me correct, the last time there was replacement of the of the CEO, Donna LeFergy (sp) 2 public forums were used last time, for two weeks posted in the careers section of the Edmonton Journal and the Calgary Herald.

Just me thinking outside the box; why not have the possible candidates for replacement of CEO present their resumes "as is the tradition seeking a position on the board". Then a vote online to choose the new CEO…… Only fair isn't it, or maybe the word's I'm am looking for is a self-governing body is a democratic process only 68 members present at the last annual general meeting out of 9500…… ???

Medic North there is only one way to do any change at ACP, that is proposed bylaw changes and to go back to an Association that truly represents the profession, that actually provides educational sessions so that the requirements under HPA would be far easier to accomplish than "I read page 214 two 218 of a Brady book."

A really good start for the new CEO would be scratch that foolish waste of time, proved nothing CISM, outdated software program that was originally designed to establish provincial and national based competency objectives, My personal review is that after the new election we will have a voice .

My suggestion is vote Wild Rose, Alberta Party, Alberta Liberal, NDP not necessarily in any order but as you know, I support Raj (he's my folk hero) because without his strength and getting booted out of conservative caucus nothing would've changed but today I believe we have new hope for democracy in Alberta.

Cheers

If I can recall Paramedic Tim Essington is a member of the Wildrose Party ?

I'm not sure about this. However, Tim was the head of Augustana's Paramedic/EMT program for years, before they moved to Lakeland college. He is a very big proponent for "proper" Paramedic education. Most importantly, he has been an outspoken critic of ACP's more obdious blunders, including the CISM. Hopefully, he is able to effect some positive change from the inside and can refrain from drinking the kool-aid, so to speak.

As for 68 members showing up to the AGM, well, we only have ourselves to blame for that one. Personally, I'm not really sure what to do about the widespread apathy practitoners have in general for our governing body. If there was some way we could get members to participate in greater numbers on a regular basis ACP would be forced to be more transparent to their membership.

In closing, does anyone know of any juicy gossip on why Tammy Leach has left so abruptly?

• 3 weeks later...

This is the first I've heard of Tammy's "vacation" (pun intended.) But I can say i'll be voting for Raj, although I did help vote the current AB goverment in last time around... So hopefully i'll help vote it out!

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.