80y/o female vomiting

mobey

Great job Mob's Nothing wrong with that.

Gut's are sometimes wrong.

I had a guy many months ago. He just woke up, said he had the worst headache of his life. I thought for sure subarachnoid bleed. Flew him to stroke center. Turned out it was a clot not a bleed. Had I have stopped by our local yocal hospital we could have tpa'd him and then flew him but I didn't.

Fortunately, he did very very well with the intervention that the stroke center did for him and the 30 minute flight versus the 20 minutes that it would have taken our facility to get all the ducks in a row didn't cost him much brain power. But my gut told me bleed but the CT said otherwise.

Gut feelings can be wrong. Live a learn, but unfortunately in our business lives are at stake. Did I make the wrong call, maybe, but with all the signs and symptoms, most other medics would have made the same call.

Good scenario Mobey.

Another thing to consider is the liability aspect. On paper, bypassing a stroke center (which might not have surgical capabilities, but must have some sort of streamlined patient transfer agreements, being as they're a stroke center and will no doubt get plenty of clots AND bleeds)...well can see a family getting upset for bypassing unless there were pretty clear signs/symptoms rather than just leaning toward a bleed based on hunch/experience/gut but without something concrete.