Patient Assessment Textbooks

Theres been some decent improvements in the last few years, but I completely agree with you. The knowledge base we are taught vs. what level of responsibility and skillset we are given are way out of proportion. I am glad they teach the way they do though. I think it's important to understand as much as possible as far as A&P and patho is concerned even if it may not affect the treatment you provide. The whole good technician vs good clinician argument etc.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Theres been some decent improvements in the last few years, but I completely agree with you. The knowledge base we are taught vs. what level of responsibility and skillset we are given are way out of proportion. I am glad they teach the way they do though. I think it's important to understand as much as possible as far as A&P and patho is concerned even if it may not affect the treatment you provide. The whole good technician vs good clinician argument etc.....

I completely agree and strongly disagree with the "inverted triangle" that has traditionally been Ambulance education.

The model Ontario has adopted with the two year University level education for Primary Care Paramedic is top-notch and one of the best in the world because you get all your basic bioscience downpat before you even touch patients and the experience base gained between PCP and ACP ensures you can actually apply that knowledge in practice!

Damn Canada, so awesome eh? :D

Woohoo 2000 posts, and I use up my 2000th post talking up Canada? Bloody usurping Canada, I should have been up talking us New Zealanders ... but I can't hate on Canada too much, being our northern cousin and all.

Edited by kiwimedic

I agree. I was the first year they switched from a 1yr to 2yr program. I couldn't imagine getting the knowledge base I did with a 1yr program. A lot of the new students now think the knowledge is overrated. Kind of frustrating seeing people coming into this profession who believe knowledge is not important as long as you know your protocols. Makes it easy to spot the people who look at this job as nothing more than a means to earn an income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of the new students now think the knowledge is overrated. Kind of frustrating seeing people coming into this profession who believe knowledge is not important as long as you know your protocols. Makes it easy to spot the people who look at this job as nothing more than a means to earn an income.

I bet most of these students are also very young and inexperienced?

In general my conversations and readings with Canadian Paramedics it seems there is a much greater respect for knowledge than in some other parts of the world, generally, exceptions will always exist.

I bet most of these students are also very young and inexperienced?

In general my conversations and readings with Canadian Paramedics it seems there is a much greater respect for knowledge than in some other parts of the world, generally, exceptions will always exist.

So KIWI are you or are you not a medic? Please go respond so we can all move forward. Thanks.