Hello from Wisconsin

wiemt2

Hello everyone from rural Wisconsin. I am an EMT-Basic. Thinking about going to paramedic, if I can make the schooling work with my family life. I run with 3 local volunteer services, with a total of 5 ambulances between the 3 services. Small local hospital (Level 4 trauma center) in one of the towns. Nearest Level 2 Trauma Center is 60 miles of crooked road away! Nearest ALS service is 25 miles away. We do have medical helicopters available if weather is suitable.

Hope to learn a lot from this forum!

Well hi there! Nice to meet you:) I hope you'll enjoy hanging out with this group as much as I have. I've learned quite a bit since I started coming here and met plenty of great folks. As I've said before, it's rare to find an internet forum in which the community is both friendly and helpful. EMTCity is batting a thousand :)

Hello :) I myself also hope to learn alot and am from North Florida up close to Georgia. I don't actually have any EMT training but, what I learn here on this website may just help me to make a decision of what I want to do as I am still a junior in high school. I do have one question though. At what point would I be elligible to begin EMT training ? Prerequisites ?

Hello :) I myself also hope to learn alot and am from North Florida up close to Georgia. I don't actually have any EMT training but, what I learn here on this website may just help me to make a decision of what I want to do as I am still a junior in high school. I do have one question though. At what point would I be elligible to begin EMT training ? Prerequisites ?

IIRC, EMT candidates require at least a high school diploma, must be 18 years of age at either the beginning or end of class (you may want to verify that with your local emt instructor), and require a cpr/aed for professional lifesavers card. Those classes take 1 day and cost about 70 bucks if you take it through the American Red Cross. Class availability is listed on the American Red Cross site. Ok, this is from the bls.gov website:

Training, Other Qualifications, and Advancement

Generally, a high school diploma is required to enter a training program to become an EMT or paramedic. Workers must complete a formal training and certification process.

Education and training. A high school diploma is usually required to enter a formal emergency medical technician training program. Training is offered at progressive levels: EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, and Paramedic.

At the EMT-Basic level, coursework emphasizes emergency skills, such as managing respiratory, trauma, and cardiac emergencies, and patient assessment. Formal courses are often combined with time in an emergency department or ambulance. The program provides instruction and practice in dealing with bleeding, fractures, airway obstruction, cardiac arrest, and emergency childbirth. Students learn how to use and maintain common emergency equipment, such as backboards, suction devices, splints, oxygen delivery systems, and stretchers. Graduates of approved EMT-Basic training programs must pass a written and practical examination administered by the State licensing agency or the NREMT.

At the EMT-Intermediate level, training requirements vary by State. The nationally defined levels, EMT-Intermediate 1985 and EMT-Intermediate 1999, typically require 30 to 350 hours of training based on scope of practice. Students learn advanced skills such the use of advanced airway devices, intravenous fluids, and some medications.

The most advanced level of training for this occupation is Paramedic. At this level, the caregiver receives training in anatomy and physiology as well as advanced medical skills. Most commonly, the training is conducted in community colleges and technical schools and may result in an associate's degree. These programs may take up to one to two years. Such education prepares the graduate to take the NREMT examination to become certified as a Paramedic. Extensive related coursework and clinical and field experience is required. Refresher courses and continuing education are available for EMTs and paramedics at all levels.

Licensure. All 50 States require EMTs and Paramedics to be licensed, but the levels and titles vary from State to State. In most States and the District of Columbia certification by the NREMT is required at some or all levels. Some States administer their own certification examination or provide the option of taking either the NREMT or State examination. In most States, licensure renewal is required every two to three years and generally, EMTs and Paramedics must take refresher training courses or complete continuing education requirements. Many States restrict licensure based on an individual's criminal history.

Other qualifications. EMTs and paramedics should be emotionally stable, have good dexterity, agility, and physical coordination, and be able to lift and carry heavy loads. They also need good eyesight (corrective lenses may be used) with accurate color vision. Many employers require a criminal background check.

Advancement. Paramedics can become supervisors, operations managers, administrative directors, or executive directors of emergency services. Some EMTs and paramedics become instructors, dispatchers, or physician assistants; others move into sales or marketing of emergency medical equipment. A number of people become EMTs and paramedics to test their interest in healthcare before training as registered nurses, physicians, or other health workers.

Note: that doesn't specify an age or mention the cpr/aed card. Getting your emt-b cert in Indiana requires you to be 18 by the end of the class, a diploma, and a cpr/aed for pro lifesavers card. Presumably every state does it differently. If you take the class through the ARC they'll be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the class requirements and such prior to your signing up. If you take your classes through a private company... some are great, some are ok, some not so good. I'd advise some research before you sign up with anybody. Good luck!

edit: I screwed up the quote somehow. Dunno what that was.

Edited by BillKaneEMT

In Florida you must be 18 years old to enter EMT programs. In the mean time you could try taking first aid, CPR, lifeguard training, etc or find a fire or police explorer program to learn what you can and get a feel for public safety.

Welcome. I got my training up in Wisconsin. I am a Jeff Clark paramedic. (he's since retired). I did my ride time up in Northeast Wisconsin/Michigan border and it sounds a lot like the area you are describing. It's nice to see someone from "home".

Hello everyone from rural Wisconsin.

I am not from rural Wisconsin but hope I am welcome as well. :whistle:

All kidding aside it is good to see some more Basics in the forums. We get a little lonely at times. You are surely racking up some crazy good experince with all the time you are volunteering. We will be more and happy for you to share your experiences with us here.

Welcome to the City!

Good on you for considering EMS. Even if you never consider it as a career the skills you learn as an EMT basic will help you for your entire life. It will give you confidence and train you to react well in stressful situations as well as look good on your resume.

Thanks for your post.

Welcome. I got my training up in Wisconsin. I am a Jeff Clark paramedic. (he's since retired). I did my ride time up in Northeast Wisconsin/Michigan border and it sounds a lot like the area you are describing. It's nice to see someone from "home".

Was Jeff Clark your instructor? I guess that makes me a Pepe Hernandez EMT. Kinda looses it's luster ...

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.