Exploring the possibility of being a Paramedic but have a few questions

The Americans with Disabilities Act is here : http://www.fema.gov/oer/reference/ada_1990.shtm

It does not specifically name the disabilities covered. However, I have to agree with kiwi on this one. It really is up to the employer as to whether or not they can accomodate you in this case. If you can't see at night to drive or carry out your responsibilities they may not hire you. Alot of this job is visual.

You will really need to contact prospective employers to get a clear answer. Good luck :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you like your job? Is it stressful? Are most shifts 24 hours at a time? Are the daily stresses debilitating?

Also a few other questions. I have an eye condition which is responsible for me having VERY bad night vision will this in some way prevent me from working as a paramedic?

I love my job. Yes, it CAN be stressful sometimes but most of the time its not bad.. some calls are more stressful than others but I can't say that I've ever been overwhelmed by stress. If you can't take things in stride I wouldn't recommend becoming a medic. Some shifts are 24 and some shifts are 12.. People also work 48's or 72's..depends. You eye condition might prevent you from driving the ambulance at night but I don't see why it would hinder you from becoming a paramedic.

FDNY EMS requires all EMS personnel to have driver's licenses, as when both Paramedics end up in the back with a patient, the EMT "riding shotgun" becomes the Paramedic vehicle's chauffeur to the hospital. The EMT driving the BLS ambulance remains driving that vehicle.

Good point Richard

It's also not really fair on a clinically qualified crew member to have to drive at the expense of their clinical ability on every job

If it's by mutual agreement then thats different.

Edited by kiwimedic

The Americans with disabilities act keeps people from not hiring you based on your disability, as long as it does not effect you from doing your job. If your job requires driving at night or other things that you cannot do, that is not discrimination. For example, I have an injury and disease that prevents me from sitting , standing, or walking for very long, and I cannot lift. I cannot be hired as an EMT again because I would be unable to carry out my job. But it isn't discrimination, cause they aren't not hiring me based on my disability, but based on my inability to perform that job. You couldn't hire a deaf person as a call taker, a paralyzed person as a police officer, etc.

We have so paramedic in this area who is legally blind and he works regular shifts and is also an emt/paramedic instructor, he has to put his face reeeaaaallll close to get a iv and most of the time it's pretty messy and I've cleaned up after him once or twice...everyone is game do long as they can pass the NREMT ...that being said I really think everyone should start at the bottom and work their way up.

Either way good luck!

There is a few errors in that post...swype ruins everything..lol

...that being said I really think everyone should start at the bottom and work their way up.

Silly swype almost made you look like an a$$. Good thing this was a typo......

We have so paramedic in this area who is legally blind and he works regular shifts and is also an emt/paramedic instructor, he has to put his face reeeaaaallll close to get a iv and most of the time it's pretty messy and I've cleaned up after him once or twice...everyone is game do long as they can pass the NREMT ...that being said I really think everyone should start at the bottom and work their way up.

Either way good luck!

Wait a minute, how messy are we talking? It sounds like he's putting people at severe risk for blood borne pathogens.

So if he inadvertently pokes the artery, which is albeit uncommon and get's blood sprayed in his eyes, then he's got an exposure.

How does he intubate? How does that work?

How bout working in the dark?

Good on him for working while legally blind but I have some pretty good vision problems and have a hard time seeing up close so being legally blind would be a huge hurdle to get over on my end.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.