EMT-B Certification - NYC

I have recently registered for an EMT-b training course through Emergency Care Programs and CAN'T WAIT!

Has anyone taken or heard of Emergency Care Programs?

I did some research before choosing a program since I am paying for it myself and currently am a full-time pre-PA student and it seemed to be the best fit in regard to schedule, cost, and availabilities. (link: http://www.emergencycareny.com/)

My training starts at the end of May, after I graduate from Hunter College with a BA in Sociology, and ends in mid-August. My plan is to work as an EMT for a couple of years while taking the additional I need to apply to a PA program.

Based on your experience as an EMT / EMS / Paramedic / emergency care provider do you think finding a job in NYC or the surrounding area will be extremely difficult?

My focus has always been about emergency care, so I wanted to get as much experience as possible before immersing myself in PA school.

Thank you a future EMT-b & PA.

Welcome to the city!. Yes, I have heard about the program you are entering. I am from NY. They have good instructors and the class schedule is flexible for anyone.

As far as getting a job. I receive my cert Sept 2011, and I am just now going through the pre employment process with my EMS company. It really should not take as long as it took me. I for one, have a full time job already.(which is why it took me a while to find one) and was offer a full time job with my EMS city but I did not want to work full time. So it did take a little longer to find a perdium or part time spot. Other than that. Good luck with your program. It should be a blast.

I have recently registered for an EMT-b training course through Emergency Care Programs and CAN'T WAIT!

Has anyone taken or heard of Emergency Care Programs?

I did some research before choosing a program since I am paying for it myself and currently am a full-time pre-PA student and it seemed to be the best fit in regard to schedule, cost, and availabilities. (link: http://www.emergencycareny.com/)

My training starts at the end of May, after I graduate from Hunter College with a BA in Sociology, and ends in mid-August. My plan is to work as an EMT for a couple of years while taking the additional I need to apply to a PA program.

Based on your experience as an EMT / EMS / Paramedic / emergency care provider do you think finding a job in NYC or the surrounding area will be extremely difficult?

My focus has always been about emergency care, so I wanted to get as much experience as possible before immersing myself in PA school.

Thank you a future EMT-b & PA.

Firstly good luck with PA school.

I have not taken a program at Emergency Care Program (here after refered to as ECP) but as a former instructor there I can tell you plenty.

ECP is one of the worst run programs in this city. Most of the instructors lack any real experience. Most of them have never worked 911 inside the city, they mostly work interfacility jobs. Example day I went to "orientation" at ECP one of my recently graduated no expirience never worked as an EMT students from another program was sitting across from me.

Finding jobs in NYC is difficult right now, especially as an EMT, FDNY has an overflow, and most private companies do also. However most places don't care where you went to school so being from ECP or anywhere else is fine as long as you have a state card) You will likely get a job working interfacility transport making btwn 10-12$/hr Starting pay at FDNY is 14/hr(ballpark) private hospitals make more but are hard to get a start in.

Per the FDNY's own website starting out EMTs, and their application for an upcoming civil service test for the job at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/201202004000.pdf :

The current minimum salary is $31,931 per annum. This rate is subject to change.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.