Pay For Training And Re-Certification

I always believed that training to maintain the certifications necessary to perform our duties were required to be paid whether regular time (under 40 hours) or as overtime in addition to our regular hours worked. I know that nurses are compensated for their time in courses they are required to take (CPR, ACLS, etc.) but my employer tells me that while nursing may do it, it is not required as we need the training to perform our jobs.

I've searched this site and the internet at large with no luck. I know that training required by the employer is compensable but that training required by the state may or may not be.

Any ideas on where to find this information?

Man, good question.

I've never known of a mandate that an employer help a medic stay qualified to perform as a paramedic. And I think that that is most often a benefit offered to nurses and not mandated either.

Now, should they demand that I attend, say, site management training, site specific expanded scope training, or something not pertinent to being a registered paramedic, then they would be required to pay me, the same as they'd be required to pay any employee for additional work, as they've made it an additional requirement to my job, above being a paramedic as I was hired to be.

The only times that I've been paid for continuing education I considered it a really big perq. But I don't believe that you'll find anywhere that employers are required to pay you for it unless they require you to attend their training instead of getting it on your own.

Good luck Brother...

That's what started the whole subject. We were told that PHTLS would be required by the company ahead of state mandates that might go into place in the next few years. Once I questioned the pay, they backed off and said that the training was suggested.

You've got to know, I'm not opposed to more training, it's always a good thing. This particular class was going to put me working 9 consecutive days. It was just too much time away from home at the time it was slotted.

Another subject opened by all of this was why paramedics are generally instructors for CPR, ACLS, PALS and such. The reason is simple, it's not worth it to a nurse to spend a day teaching for $200-400 while medics will jump at it.

That's what started the whole subject. We were told that PHTLS would be required by the company ahead of state mandates that might go into place in the next few years. Once I questioned the pay, they backed off and said that the training was suggested.

Are they requiring any PHTLS course, or are they requiring that you take their PHTLS course?

We were told it was mandatory and that the schedule for the classes had been arranged to fit into our work schedule, creating the long stretch of days that was at issue for me. So it was implied that we had to take the class through them but it would be a standard PHTLS class.

For card classes; what I have noticed is they are either paying you to take the class (your salary at straight or overtime) or they are reimbursing you for the course if it was on your own time. I have yet to see anyone do both.

So are they going to pay you or not. If they are not going to pay you then why are they mandating that you go to the class? Surely you arent going to give up your days off for free right unless the class is free right?

Consider thiss. PHTLS in my woods runs around 200-300 to take. Thats about a shift or two. If my employer covers the cost of the course but its on my off day then its like im working any way. if im covering the cost and having to take the days off then im out some big bucks plus vacation days if I cant get someone to do a trade. make sense?????

Everywhere Ive worked these classes have all been paid for/hours paid for

acls

pals

phtls

btls

nrp

abls

refresher

and additional hours as requested

as well as one national conference every 2 years (reg fee only)

So are they going to pay you or not. If they are not going to pay you then why are they mandating that you go to the class? Surely you arent going to give up your days off for free right unless the class is free right?

Consider thiss. PHTLS in my woods runs around 200-300 to take. Thats about a shift or two. If my employer covers the cost of the course but its on my off day then its like im working any way. if im covering the cost and having to take the days off then im out some big bucks plus vacation days if I cant get someone to do a trade. make sense?????

Everywhere Ive worked these classes have all been paid for/hours paid for

acls

pals

phtls

btls

nrp

abls

refresher

and additional hours as requested

as well as one national conference every 2 years (reg fee only)

My first thought is "consider yourself lucky".

I work PRN for one service who offers nothing by way of training. The county service I was working for required CPR/ACLS/PALS and it followed the concept of my original post. And, yes, that included my taking vacation time or no pay if I couldn't get someone to trade. My new gig will pay for my hours...but I pay for the course. But, we aren't looking at $200-$300 per class - more like $50.

Since I started out as a volunteer and had to cover all my costs, it's really never crossed my mind to be any different and I simply get elated with the training is free and during work hours.

Of course, I tend to drink the koolaid...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.