Walking without a pulse

Hey Dwayne,

I don't know too much about those devices specifically, I will have to look it up because you've got me interested in it now too haha. I imagine many of the compensatory mechanisms would still be available, especially the important ones that alter fluid levels or change vascular tension to tune preload to the heart. The same fluid dynamics that make the the heart work better under high preload could possibly apply to any mechanical pump, as well. No doubt the pump would be "dumber" about it though. Our bodies truly are full of amazing dynamic systems that all work in concert together-- that much is certainly becoming clear through all of this school.

I didn't have any legal concerns with the blog, I just took it down temporarily when I was applying to and starting school because a lot of the stuff I wrote in there isn't exactly all that personally flattering haha. I wanted to put forward my best face, and let them learn later that I too make mistakes heh. I haven't written there for more than two years now. I'd love to pick it back up and write about everything I'm going through right now, but I honestly don't know if I have the time or the energy for it these days. I've got a (rare) free weekend right now- you've got me thinking about it dude.

I still stop by the City now and then, but I'd stop by more if it were busier! We gotta drum up some activity here!

Edited by fiznat

One of the biggest problems that you run into with LVAD's is a decrease in preload. These devices are highly dependent on receiving adequate preload to maintain cardiac output. You may need to give fluids to assist people who are not volume optomised. This is not uncommon with relatively active people who are in warm climates. Additionally, many LVAD's have two basic modes of operation. The first mode is known as fixed mode and maintains a set rate regardless of the patient's demands. The second mode is known as auto mode where the rate can vary according to several factors. However, you may see patients transition to fixed mode and manually set the pump according to specific problems or demands.

Are these devices common in the US? I've never seen one here, and nobody I know has ever seen one, except on Grey's Anatomy.

The only facility in NZ which could handle something like this would be CVICU at ACH (Auckland) and even then I an educated guess is that the number of people receiving them is extremely, extremely small

They are not uncommon. Since about 2005, over 6,000 Heartmate 2's have been placed into patients. This does not include all the other manufacturers. I am most familiar with the HM 2 because of my "fairly" close association with Mayo Clinic in Arizona. Therefore, most of my LVAD patients have the HM 2.

I got this when I tried to access your blog, unless I got the wrong Baby Medic. Since your blog there are a gazillion now using that title...

This blog is open to invited readers only

http://babymedic.blogspot.com/

It doesn't look like you have been invited to read this blog. If you think this is a mistake, you might want to contact the blog author and request an invitation.

You're signed in as dwayne.*****@gmail.com - Sign in with a different account

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.