Boston EMS

joeydisasteroid

OK. I'm raising my arm so that I can save my watch. Boy do they pile up high in Boston. That is absolutely absurd. Why waste hard earned skills by subjecting a person to work beneath their scope until a position opens up. It sickens me that there is a monopoly on EMS where cities should be moving towards progression instead of going backwards. That pay must be awesome. I seriously doubt it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, Boston highlights a big problem in EMS. Who is going to work for 4 years at a salary of $637.00 a week for the honor and privelege of maybe someday being a medic? Nursing school looks awfully attractive given those odds. Say what you will about the NYC EMS system, but at least anybody with the guts, brains, and drive to be a medic can get a spot without so much friggin' hassle.

. Dont confuse education with knowledge and competency.

Apparently, you are not aware the difference of "training" and education. Training is the basis of being taught, specific objectives of a specific area only (no outside theory studies or discussion) and the direct application of such & if skills are associated with those objectives. Where as education is one is tested on the objectives of that specific areas, including theory, application of use, and may require prerequisite or co requisite courses to enhance the knowledge needed. If skills area are required, then one must properly demonstrate competency in those areas. Therefore one finishing up through an education system should have the minimum knowledge base. Again, this is what all board exams test upon. Minimum knowledge to be able to provide safe, accurate patient care. Then to build expertise later, after clinical experience.

Although, there is incompetence at all levels, including physician this is not based upon their education level, rather it should be based upon the individual and how they applied their knowledge. It is apparent at one time they had a level of competence, and knowledge otherwise they would had never graduated, and pass board examination. Of course this where part of the basis of negligence can be made.

Yes, clinical experience should hone these skills and one should be able to apply their knowledge as well. With time one should as well become proficient in his/her profession.

Now the concern I have is for lower level EMT's to describe what is incompetent? Really, by what standards are they using to evaluate and judge such? I hope it is not the basic or intermediate level text (6'th grade reading level), or training they have received. Or is it the anecdotal way of doing things?

Like I describe earlier, yes incompetence occurs at all levels.. but be sure that one does not "make a blanket statement", which displays lack of knowledge to themselves.

R/r 911

I didn't say everyone! All I said was dont assume everyone is competent.

You keep preaching that a higher level of education would remove incompetence, I dont believe it would.

Actually my EMT book was the brady paramedic text.

Here is the definition of incompetent

1 : not legally qualified

2 : inadequate to or unsuitable for a particular purpose

3 a : lacking the qualities needed for effective action b : unable to function properly <incompetent heart valves>

- incompetent noun

I have worked in a few different systems I know all to well what incompetent looks like.

There you go assuming again.

And you do not know what my educational background is. A full semester of anatomy, and phsyiology were pre rec's for my emt class.

I took the EMT class in college.

So yes I do read and write above a 7th grade level, I am more formally educated then most on this board. Do I feel the need to point that out at every possible oppurtunity I get. NO

Whether you like it or not EMT and PARAMEDICS are tech positions. I am comfortable saying that even though that is the path I chose. I dont try to make it out to be more then it is, to make myself feel more important.

That's great you know what "incompetent" looks like. Too bad you don't know what the spell check looks like.

Education might not completely remove incompetence. But by having increased educational requirements the rate of acceptance into educational programs of people who don't need to be doing this job will decrease dramatically. With that you'll see not only more rounded providers but providers who are dedicated to learning, providing care at the highest possible level and are skilled in their job.

Funny. It seems that the people who argue most against education are the ones who are afraid that they'll lose their jobs if educational standards are implemented. Or they're ones who wouldn't have gotten the job to begin with. College/university education is not bad. And if you're afraid of it you should reconsider where you are and where you're headed.

-be safe.