Propofol is great for almost anything, I've just been trying to expand my horizons a little with all of these drug shortages. You never know when your favorite might be gone and you need to be comfortable with something else. Better to try when you CAN and not when you HAVE to. I'd never thought about ether, might have to give it a try. I have taken care of a very small number (1 or 2) of pts who have ether listed as an allergy. I'm waiting for the day when we have to go back to a shot of whiskey and a bullet to bite on. I don't think it is that far away.

Propofol is great for almost anything,

Side effects may include 4 years in jail and loosing your medical license :D

If symptoms persist, consult your Parole Officer

I've just been trying to expand my horizons a little with all of these drug shortages

I can't get my head around these drug shortages - we don't have any down here and most of our drugs came from the same drug companies

I'd never thought about ether, might have to give it a try. I have taken care of a very small number (1 or 2) of pts who have ether listed as an allergy. I'm waiting for the day when we have to go back to a shot of whiskey and a bullet to bite on. I don't think it is that far away.

Check their medical notes, see if Morton or Davey was their anaesthetist.

Might also look under pre-operative evaluation - "like's sour mash whiskey"

Not sure which ASA grading that one falls into myself :D

Propofol is great for almost anything, I've just been trying to expand my horizons a little with all of these drug shortages. You never know when your favorite might be gone and you need to be comfortable with something else. Better to try when you CAN and not when you HAVE to. I'd never thought about ether, might have to give it a try. I have taken care of a very small number (1 or 2) of pts who have ether listed as an allergy. I'm waiting for the day when we have to go back to a shot of whiskey and a bullet to bite on. I don't think it is that far away.

Personally, I've enjoyed doing short procedures with propofol. The doc administers, I monitor, the procedure is over very quickly and I have less time monitoring and so on. From a logistical standpoint, my propofol experiences have gone quite well.

• Like 1

Agreed, chbare. What I find weird is that if we use propofol, RT has to be in the room. If we use anything else like ketamine, etomidate, brevital, etc no RT is needed. Where I did my residency we were not allowed to use propofol, but after almost 6 years at my current place, I wouldn't know what to do without it. It truly is the bees knees. Kiwi, I thought I asked you not to bring up my parole officer. I told you were just have a handcuff thing and nothing else.

• Like 1

It is a bit weird in that the patient is unconscious but their eyes will probably still be open and they may salivate a bit

doesnt diprivan do the same

I had a guy who had a easily dislocatable shoulder. When he wanted his fix, he would dislocate his shoulder, come in to the eR, get his fix of propofol and other stuff, we'd relocate the shoulder, then he'd pop it back out when we weren't looking and we'd pop it back in. He'd get enough and then he'd be done.

As a paramedic, it's great stuff. Watch the airway, watch the vitals, sit by the bedside and monitor the guy and let the other staff in the ER do other stuff with the 9 other beds.

Took me out of the ER flow for about 4 hours.

The guy woke up happy and jolly. He got driven home and we wouldn't see him for a couple weeks or a month or two.

Propofol worked wonders to relax him enough. Our hospital didn't seem to have a shortage. But I guess that was after Michael J died so maybe the shortage is not an issue any more now that he doesn't need any.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.