Going to the UK with a NREMT-P cert. How does that work?

Kinda have been itching to leave the US for a few years. Figured I might be able to go the UK as a paramedic after schooling is complete. What would I need to do.

http://www.hpc-uk.org/apply/international/

It will be exceedingly tough. The UK paramedic is a very different animal in terms of education and regulation. Additionally, your chances are minimal given the fact that you would be a new graduate paramedic with limited experience, references and educational credentials. Good luck in any event.

You would need a visa. Neither the HPC, nor the NHS can supply them.

Ditto on this, the UK has one of the toughest borders in the world and even overseas trained Nurses and Midwives are no longer able to get a visa (bugger, I'm never going to get on 24 Hours in A&E!)

The various NHS Ambulance Service Trusts traditionally hired lay people and put them through the IHCD Technician Awards then after about two years they could apply for the Paramedic course. Now with the DipHE/FdSc being made mandatory and intense cut-throat competition to get onto the University course they will have plenty of applicants

If you get some experience (3-5 years) and a good, quality education (Associates Degree or higher) you could look at Australia or New Zealand

Besides, who would want to work in the UK, they'd probably pair us together, the UK poses enough linguistic challenge already :D

Red base, November 100, available local area

EVERYONE is correct,however contact me via pm and i may be able to help.hpc sometimes want additional topics covered and a 6month crossover course....one of my colleagues has done it

I`d be ready to take that offer at some time, if it counts for me, too? ;)

I`m thinking about applying with the HPC through the international applicants route, although not in the imminent future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.