EMS Captain helps First Responders Cheat on Exam

Wizard67

What was it Edmund Burke said? Something along the lines of, "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Whether this allegation is an act of evil is another discussion. However, I think the sentiment carries.

There are ways to handle this. Forwarding the email on to the State would be one way. A contact with a news reporter who agrees to keep sources confidential (until you give the approval to go public with your name) is another.

Or you could do nothing.

Anyone remember what happened in Massachusetts? It's a relatively recent story that, if the allegations are true, has some bearing on this discussion.

• Like 3

Slip him a note and hope it stops? Assuming this story is correct, you would be comfortable with this course of action. We have no idea how many others have passed this way. First responder or paramedic, these are still people who are putting hands on patients.

What I meant is to think carefully about his/her options.

Me I know what I would do, but I'm almost to retirement age so they couldn't affect me.

The OP is just starting out in trying to get into the business. Life may not be fair , but karma is a bitch.

• Like 1

Really truth be known, it comes down to one thing and that is what is your character based on? Considering that you posted the question, I am pretty sure that you have some basis of character. Which also tells me, that you know the right thing to do.

If this guy is doing this for a First Responder's test, then he probably is doing this for other test as well. One thing with any instructor, is that they like to see their students get high marks. Whether it is on test through out the class, state test, national registry, etc. It not only shows that the students are learning the material, but also that they are teaching the material well. In a way it gives them bragging rights, if it be for a better position within their department, creating a business, or just for reasons of egos. I mean would you want an instructor where only 75% of his students passed or one that 98% of their students passed?

With that bieng said, I believe the right thing to do is blow the whistle on this guy (yeah I said it). If you choose to remain anonymus then great, but at least you know that you did the right thing. Good luck!!

MongoMedic

Thanks everyone for your replies. I quit the fire department I was volunteering on (as an EMT- Basic) because of the creative reporting system used as well as being punished for speaking up when a patient's safety came into question. The paramedic mentioned is married to a person that heads up the fire and rescue department and is also on the city council and fire/rescue board, as well as the county fire and rescue association. So reporting this locally will only get it swept under the rug. Looks like my next option is to copy the email and send it to someone at state level.

Edited by Wizard67

Clarification, please? Were the answers in the letter for a recurring test, directly from the next test scheduled, or from a bank of questions available?

Good question. Wish I had thought of that.

Where exactly are you? Just wanna know, so I don't happen upon your "initial response area". If it's for "first responders", as in the training course, not like cops, firemen, et al, media named first responders. That's like standard first aid. If they can't pass. They should be, first, sterilized.. and second.. not be first responders.