This is why many of us hate (generally speaking) the fire services....

DwayneEMTP

We tell our stories to each other all the time and it is OK because we are all in the same boat, we understand the job,dangers, fears, victories and defeat. The stories are not considered bragging but sharing so long as the BS doesn't get too deep. it happens in all subcultures, construction workers, firemen, medics, soldiers etc.

If we tell the same story to a person outside the profession we might be bragging,

Winston Churchill once said "Why, you may take the most gallant sailor, the most intrepid airman or the most audacious soldier,put them at the table together - what do you get? The sum of their fears."

• Like 1

We tell our stories to each other all the time and it is OK because we are all in the same boat, we understand the job,dangers, fears, victories and defeat. The stories are not considered bragging but sharing so long as the BS doesn't get too deep. it happens in all subcultures, construction workers, firemen, medics, soldiers etc.

If we tell the same story to a person outside the profession we might be bragging,

Winston Churchill once said "Why, you may take the most gallant sailor, the most intrepid airman or the most audacious soldier,put them at the table together - what do you get? The sum of their fears."

Honestly, I really don't think those of us in the EMS business do too much bragging. The truth we see is generally stranger- and most of the time a lot funnier- than anything we could ever make up.

Let me qualify that first sentence- most of us who have been in the business for any length of time. It does not take much time at all before we realize that fate/Karma/God/deity of choice- has a twisted sense of humor, and as soon as we get too big for our britches, we get a call that reminds us how little we know about this process of life and death.

• Like 2

Here's the deal. I have no idea how much time this Mongo has on the job, but today's FF is nothing like 30- or even 20 years ago. I would be extremely frustrated if after spending time, energy, blood, sweat, and tears training for a job I would only be able to do a handful of times each year.

Just for your info, nothing more, but I have a little over 20 years in this field...I have seen plenty of changes (some to the good some to the bad) in this field. It is like I said in my last post, I have a lot of respect for the job that fire services do. However, I do not like arrogant, pompous asses telling those of in EMS that our job is any less important than theirs. Like I said not all FF's are assholes like that and are all around good guys. That was my main point, other than educating the young lad on some the history of EMS. At least that I am aware of.

Although I was a little confused on what my duration in this field really has to do with the rest of your post. Maybe just a little clarification?

MongoMedic

Just for your info, nothing more, but I have a little over 20 years in this field...I have seen plenty of changes (some to the good some to the bad) in this field. It is like I said in my last post, I have a lot of respect for the job that fire services do. However, I do not like arrogant, pompous asses telling those of in EMS that our job is any less important than theirs. Like I said not all FF's are assholes like that and are all around good guys. That was my main point, other than educating the young lad on some the history of EMS. At least that I am aware of.

Although I was a little confused on what my duration in this field really has to do with the rest of your post. Maybe just a little clarification?

MongoMedic

Not a slam at all, bud. Just pointing out how a FF from 20-30+ years ago is nothing like the ones just starting out today-and was not sure how familiar you were with them. Some of the changes are good- (generally more educated, broader knowledge base, more safety conscious) while others are not- less experience, different mindset and attitudes towards the job and life in general.

I agree about the arrogance and pompous stuff, but we are talking abou apples and Buicks here. EMS and Fire fighting are 2 entirely different ideas that years ago were often thrown together for the sake of convenience and expediency. Has EMS gotten the short end of the stick since then? Absolutely, but because this is such an entrenched and ingrained system in so many places, changes to the status quo are not easy, as we all know. Until those changes DO occur, we will still get the occasional dick measuring contests and chest thumping that does zero good for anyone and only fans the flames of animosity.

Wow, is really all I can say. Well maybe not. My experience with our local FF has always been awsome. I dont understand why people have to slam them to the point that they do. At least once a year I go to them and we cruise through the car so they know where are stuff is. I ask them politely to get things for me and you what, they do. They also carry down those 300 pounders to my ambulance, funny thing is they dont complain. Maybe some should be thankful there are those other professions are there to help us. The other point that could be made is that DRs., nurses and paramedics dont always answer the call because of law suites, so you know what the dumb FF did so maybe the regognition is warrented.

The original report I read here made me think like others that it was how it was reported not nessasarily accuratly. Please ignore the spelling mistakes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.