This is why many of us hate (generally speaking) the fire services....

DwayneEMTP

These anti fire service threads are so lame and share one common underlying theme; jealousy. While I agree with some of the points made about sometimes, the root of these rants is jealousy. You will never admit it but thats ok. People like you are jealous that the fire service has evolved into a respected career while you are stuck in a little thought about stopping point known as ems. Across the board the fire service has better pay, benefits, working conditions, union representation, and respect. Because of this people like you have made it a mission to post every potentially negative article regarding a fireman. Take a look at these; this is why you should hate all EMS workers....

...You paint with a broad brush pal. While you make some valid points most are merely generalizations. I anxiously look forward to your reaction...

No man, the TV image of the fire services has become respected. You tout how good you have it, and you certainly do, but you should enjoy it while it lasts. The country is getting tired of paying you to lift weights and flex your muscles in front of the college chicks.

94% of fire calls nationwide are medical and your dissing EMS? Really?

And it was called above. Whenever you criticize one of the bullshit self labeled heroes the arguments come in one of three flavors..."You're jealous!" "You couldn't pass the test right? Now you're bitter?" "Ha, a fireman slept with/stole your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend didn't he??"

Please tell me that you're intelligent enough to be ashamed of the ignorance behind your post?

You're don't come off as bright enough to understand that the majority of the fire crews in the country run EMS. So then, by your logic, they too are then "stuck in a little thought about stopping point known as ems...?

And if you'd been here a few days before throwing your tantrum you'd be well aware of the fact that those of us that are non career hosemonkey bag on career EMS much more than we do you and your fire buddies.

But, you've done what your wanker brothers and sisters have done before you. Stomped your feet and cried and hoped that the world would come rushing in to protect it's hero...but it doesn't work that way here Brother.

Three of my best friends are career firemen, three others are past firemen, and they would stab you right in the fucking throat if they heard you making such childish, ignorant, menstruational arguments regarding the career that they've chosen.

Just for a bit man, try slipping out of your 'I fight what you fear" Tshirt, pass up your Denny's discount and go to the library instead. Put aside the weights and television for a few days and pick up a book. You will truly be the better for it.

Try finding some self value that's not tied to a bullshit representation from the television that the public loves and respects, and that you cheer for, from your recliner. Find your own self respect and you won't get so ass hurt when people criticize the fire services and you may learn to debate the issue with some semblance of logic and intelligence.

If you'd read the my first post you'd have seen that I made my perspective clear. I wasn't talking about all firemen.

But I was talking about you.

This is my reaction....

Dwayne

• Like 1

Tired of paying me to lift weights and sleep? Thats pretty funny...

I am well aware that most fire departments run ems, I work on one of them. In fact the fire service played a pretty key part in the development of the modern American EMS system.

As far as a debate goes, there is nothing to debate.

Fwiw, I am quite familiar with Mr. Harris and your portrayal is dead wrong.

Tired of paying me to lift weights and sleep? Thats pretty funny...

I am well aware that most fire departments run ems, I work on one of them. In fact the fire service played a pretty key part in the development of the modern American EMS system.

As far as a debate goes, there is nothing to debate.

Fwiw, I am quite familiar with Mr. Harris and your portrayal is dead wrong.

If you read my earlier post, you would of seen that I was defending the FF/Medic that was on the plane.

However, that is pretty much where my defense for the fire services ends. Because, it is arrogant asses like you that give the fire services it's much needed reputation. If you really want to know where modern EMS evolved from, it was from the Medics that served in Vietnam. Yes it is true that originally the EMS service for the civilian world was devoloped within the fire services. However, it was seen that the fire services could not handle the call volume and that is why it started to going to mortuary service and devoloping into the ever expanding private services. The funny thing about "fire based EMS" is that even back then they did not transport, they had to call a local ambulance company to transport their patients.

If you bother to get hell off your high horse and see that the number of fire service run EMS in the US is dwindling and the private/hospital based EMS services are gorwing then you will see that maybe the fire services are not as "key" in the devolopment of "modern American EMS systems" as you like to think. It took hospitals, private services, in a very small part the fire services to devolop EMS into what it is today.

I have a lot of respect for the fire services, as I do for the law enforcement community. However, trust me on this there is no jealousy on my part. There is also limitless possibilities with the job that I do. So before you go bashing the private/hospital based EMS, read a frickin book and open your mind!!

MongoMedic

I approve this message!!

• Like 1

In fact the fire service played a pretty key part in the development of the modern American EMS system.

Stop smoking crank mate, it's making you say things that embarrass yourself

It was Dr Eugene Nagel and Jim Hirschman from Miami who wanted to expand on Pantridge's original results in Belfast. He is on record as using the Miami Fire Department because they were "already there" and he had no spare Cardiologists to staff the MCCU . That is how the Fire Department became involved in EMS.

Oh, and as for advancement, the IAFC EMS Section is on record as opposing EMS education increases and the need to affiliate with a College or University.

That's why the US is 10-20 years behind the rest of the world EMS wise in a good many respects, not exclusively but they do not help

Good on you for defending your friend even if it is a very poor approach. As well as others I also defended the FF from the first article in my earliest post.

I also mentioned and I quote “I do know that many FF are self proclaimed heroes as delusional projection of an alter ego that is rooted in their low self esteem, past failures and current inadequacies.I have a poor opinion of the self proclaimed hero types but I don't draw this attitude form this particular article.”

I never dreamed it would be a drumbeat for you to run to.

Edited by DFIB

...As far as a debate goes, there is nothing to debate...

That is where you show yourself, again, to be a wacker, and an idiot.

By the way, wasn't it you that asked for people's feedback?

No idea who Mr. Harris is. If he's the guy from the story, well, good on you. He's just another wacker bullshit artist to me.

What's unfortunate is that you have a bunch of people that would be willing to discuss with you but you don't have the mental ability to even answer the questions asked of you at a 4th grade level. We've many well respected members here who are now, or have been in the past, firemen, myself included if you count wildland.

You'll never really get that you're responses here are due to you being an ignorant, immature child, and not about being a fireman.

You're right, there's nothing to debate....with you. Not because there aren't issues, but because you'll never understand them if not expressed to you in cartoon form.

Good luck to you Brother...

Dwayne

Here's the deal. I have no idea how much time this Mongo has on the job, but today's FF is nothing like 30- or even 20 years ago. I would be extremely frustrated if after spending time, energy, blood, sweat, and tears training for a job I would only be able to do a handful of times each year. For too many of them, their careers become a parody of what they wish their jobs were like. The jealousy I see is from the guys who did not do their homework and never realized the majority of their efforts would be spent doing EMS calls and drilling for the rare occasions they actually get some pump time. I know and work with hundreds of FF's, and most of the old school guys long for the days when they had working fires every single day of their careers, but they also know those times are a distant memory. They also earned every dime they made in those days and then some.

Even in the busiest areas now, a guy could go MONTHS(and sometimes years) where the only real fire they see is under their dinner pots. Some adapt and move on, many retire, and yes, some are bitter about what their jobs have become. When they DO catch a fire, it's a scary thing because so many guys may have tons of training but little hands on experience. No amount of book knowledge or training evolutions can ever prepare you for the insanity of a fireground scene. Many of these guys move up the career ladder, becoming chief officers with very little fire experience. Not much you can do about that when fires are down, but it also makes a very dangerous profession even more risky.

I also see too many guys who have their daddy's time on the job, live vicariously throught them and the old timers, and somehow think that experience, bravado, and knowledge automatically transfers to them once they get the job- even before they ever get their boots dirty. I hear them talk about fires they only heard or read about as if they were first in and leading out the first line.

Look- there are hand jobs in any profession- EMS included. I also am reminded of the old saying- it ain't bragging if you can back it up. The guys who turn every conversation into a BS session about how they "beat back the beast" and brag about the fires they claim to have seen are generally the ones who haven't seen jack shit. The ones I respect are the ones who quietly do their job and take pride in it- whatever it may be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.