This is why many of us hate (generally speaking) the fire services....

DwayneEMTP

What shocks me the most is that the article is not coming from a local newspaper but a EMS news site.

But he didn't receive a thank you note from the son, the airlines did, to the 'passengers and crew', it was the reporter that named him specifically, not the note.

And he shouldn't have been there to be interviewed. He should have been to hell and gone from baggage claim....

Of course it doesn't matter, but it's fun to dissect.

Actually, according to the article, he did recieve a thank you from the son:

Tseng's son, Luke, penned a letter of gratitude to Harris and the flight crew.
It was probably just a general thanks to all involved, but still...

If you'll reread the article and look at the date that it was written and the date the incident occured, you'll notice that there is a big gap there (and yes, I went back and actually looked at when it was first published by The Commerical Appeal...what can I say, I've got some free time today). It would appear that nobody was interviewed at the "baggage claim." In fact some of the interviews were done by email...

While the whole scenario is being way overplayed and made out to be much more than it was (whole lotta nothin'), it really sounds like your problem should be with the reporter who wrote the story.

• Like 1

Actually, according to the article, he did recieve a thank you from the son:

It was probably just a general thanks to all involved, but still...

If you'll reread the article and look at the date that it was written and the date the incident occured, you'll notice that there is a big gap there (and yes, I went back and actually looked at when it was first published by The Commerical Appeal...what can I say, I've got some free time today). It would appear that nobody was interviewed at the "baggage claim." In fact some of the interviews were done by email...

While the whole scenario is being way overplayed and made out to be much more than it was (whole lotta nothin'), it really sounds like your problem should be with the reporter who wrote the story.

Thanks, I tried to point that out but kind of failed. Really, the whole deal is that the article sucks, and it really doesn't have much to do with the fire hero guts/glory problem at all. It would have to be better written to have any bearing whatsoever.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

We all know that they are compensating with those big hoses. The look at me attitude is what causes the problem.

Fire is the only profession, other than politics, who can put enough spin on a failure that people think they have done a great job. Let's face it, a building is burned out, has to be demolished, but they claim it as a successful operation, because they contained it to that building but don't tell you about all the water damage to surrounding properties........

These anti fire service threads are so lame and share one common underlying theme; jealousy. While I agree with some of the points made about sometimes, the root of these rants is jealousy. You will never admit it but thats ok. People like you are jealous that the fire service has evolved into a respected career while you are stuck in a little thought about stopping point known as ems. Across the board the fire service has better pay, benefits, working conditions, union representation, and respect. Because of this people like you have made it a mission to post every potentially negative article regarding a fireman. Take a look at these; this is why you should hate all EMS workers.

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-paramedic-arrest,0,1856877.story

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/14457388/paramedic-arrested-for-being-intoxicated-on-the-job

http://prescription-drug-abuse.com/drug-abuse-articles/drug-crime-news/paramedic-arrested-for-siphoning-fentanyl/

You paint with a broad brush pal. While you make some valid points most are merely generalizations. I anxiously look forward to your reaction...

http://prescription-drug-abuse.com/drug-abuse-articles/drug-crime-news/paramedic-arrested-for-siphoning-fentanyl/

Jealousy? stop smoking crack mate it is making you spew verbal excrement and embarrass yourself

The Fire Service and Ambulance here are both well respected careers but I don't like the Fire Service still, sit around doing nothing sucking up money and making themselves look good; the Fire Service are the only people who class a failure (a destroyed burnt down building) as a success because they put it out, Ambulance does not class a cardiac arrest patient who stays dead as a successful job even tho we worked on him!

AHEM!

In my other post about heros, I wrote "but as a general rule cops don't like firemen and paramedics don't like firemen, and if you ever bring that up, they almost unilaterally come off with something like "They're just jealous, or They couldn't pass the run."

Then MontvilleFire writes:

"These anti fire service threads are so lame and share one common underlying theme; jealousy. While I agree with some of the points made about sometimes, the root of these rants is jealousy. "

Called it!

But just so you know, EMS is evolving and growing while the fire service can only desperately hang on to skills that were once needed before smoke detectors by trying to snatch up EMS jobs. I was trained as a firefighter. I have many close friends who are firefighters. I have no problem with firefighters, usually. But that over all smug attitude is what gets you no where. Get a life.

Edited by Asysin2leads
  • Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.