how much does a car accident hurt your employability?

student medic

I was in a car accident on friday. Don't worry i wasnt hurt aside from a slight contusion on my left arm from where i was T-boned. I work as a volunteer EMT. I wasnt really looking for jobs in EMS just yet because i already had a paying job and the $10 an hour didnt sound like something i was in a rush for.

But recent issues at work made me realize that it really is time to move on. I guess that's the stress i was feeling when i got on the road friday night which distracted me and i made a stupid mistake of trying to make a left from the far right lane. Which is something that i would never try normally.

So now i have to get on the job hunt and i see that all the transport companies ask for a "clean driving record". Would the recent accident stop me from getting hired?

If anyone has any info about how appilcant are screaned when hired it would be very helpfull to me.

Depends on the service you work for and each will have their own criteria. One service I applied had had us provide a state driving record and background check. Another, I believe, just had us provide the background check. But, one accident shouldn't be an issue. It's the pattern they are looking for.

I will tell you this...if it comes up in the interview, be honest about it. And, hopefully you've learned from the experience and this will be behind you.

Toni

• Like 1

If the local Law Enforcement Officers didn't ticket you, it shouldn't, but the company you're applying to might find out about it, especailly if the accident was your fault, from your automotive insurance carrier. You've no control over THAT.

As Toni said above they will look for driving convictions and a pattern of bad driving. speeding tickets or driving to endanger charges are much more of a red flag than one accident. It will show up on your records when they screen you , so don't try to deny it. Just be up front and explain the incident.

Good luck!

• Like 1

The last interview I was in which was a couple of weeks ago, kept asking me over and over if my driver license record is CLEAN!! Some companies really care about those records.

The last interview I was in which was a couple of weeks ago, kept asking me over and over if my driver license record is CLEAN!! Some companies really care about those records.

Thats because the insurance carriers really want the best odds in insuring drivers of emergency vehicles.

Better drivers with clean records = lower insurance premiums.

Risk management is a very strict thing today as far as expenditures.

Look at it another way: if you have ten applicants and three have perfect driving records and 2 have property damage crashes , and two have convictions for motor vehicle violations of a more serious nature, and the last three have felony driving offenses .

Which 5 do you think the insurance company will be most happy with?