Question for all EMTs, old and new

tonynoriega

Hello everyone,

My brother was just passed the Nat. EMT cert. test, and being the proud big brother I am. I would like to get him a nice gift that he can really use...

I would like to keep away from the T shirts, or statues, or swag gear, stickers and shit...

I would like to get him something he can use in the field...maybe a custom gear bag... a startup EMT field kit.... pants, clothes...for the field... whatever...

Considering he just passed, and obviously doesnt have an actual job yet... I am hoping this gift will get him motivated to go out and get employment ...

Thanks all..

Get him a gift certificate and take him to a medical supply store where he can buy a good stethoscope that he really likes! That's what I would do...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Good on you man! I think that's cool as hell...

You're going to get a bunch of responses likely about buying him books instead of junk. And the sentiment is right, but I know that's not what you're looking for.

When I was a new basic, nothing made my nipples hard like the thought of a new, good stethoscope. The problem with that is that a good one is over a hundred bucks and they tend to grow legs and walk away.

One of those nifty over one shoulder backpacks would be good. Perhaps you can have it personalized..but not with anything that is giant and screams EMS, or people will laugh at him. But he will want to take his own stethoscope to work likely, some reference books, some snacks...in fact I wish I had one right now!!

Just a thought...

Dwayne

You could get him a Littman Master Classic II SE stethoscope; I think over your way they're about $70

Might also think of getting him a copy of Marieb Human Anatomy and Physiology so he can understand what he is listening to with that stethoscope

I wish my brother was as nice as you .... he's a poo poo head (like Dwayne! :D)

A gift certificate would be nice. A buddy from my class got a new stethoscope from his little sister, it was a nice model and it came with his name engraved on it. He thought it was great although our instructor pointed out that the engraving might make some people even more keen to steal it. Not that all EMT's are kleptos! Just firefighters >.> Bazinga!

• Like 1

Depends on how big you want to go. My mother passed down her master cardiology stethoscope to me after passing. It also depends if hes going into 911 or ITFT. A really good pair of comfortable boots will take him a long ways in his career in 911. If hes going to get into ITFT (inter facility transfers AKA 911 my best recommendation would be a real nice backpack so he can keep all his gear on hand.

thank you everyone... I think the Boots are a great Idea... my EMT friend told me that Danner boots are great...so I will look into those... a sweet backpack I think is a good Idea too... He doesnt have an actual "job" yet, so it may be a bit premature to figure out exactly what he needs... I am hoping to keep my budget around $300 so... I have some room to play around with a few things...

In terms of back packs? Any recommendations on manufacturer? I am guessing something with a shit ton of pockets and "commando" looking would be sweet.

Good thing you are asking for advice! I was almost stupid to buy all this EMT stuff that would have been nice to have but not needed. Instead I bought books. apps, and a good stethoscope. Good thing for EMT city being around they made me realize that such things are not worth the money. Gift certificate is the best thing or a good good stethoscope. You can never go wrong with those two. Congratulation to you brother!!

Denny

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.