Flipping the BP cuff upside down

runswithneedles

Don't know an official response, but intuitivly it should make no difference. The air bladder in the cuff is what this is all about, so as long as it is functioning properly, I see no reason why it would matter which direction it's facing. I would be curious to see comparisons between both methods- especially with an "objective" automatic measurement of the BP.

Flipping it upside down should not effect your readings. When you consider that we are listening manually at the same location regardless of the orientation of the cuff..... The orientation should not effect effect the instance/volume of the Korotokoff sounds. Using similar logic, the orientation of the BP cuff does not effect our palpated pressure as our location of palpation does not change either. I cannot think of a reason the physics would change with an automatic pressure cuff either.

What does make a HUGE difference is (as previously mentioned) the SIZE of cuff. It also makes a huge difference what your tubing is draped over/ran across if you are getting an automatic reading. If its going to be picking up excessive road bumps/vibration then your readings may be off.

I generally do not question my preceptor and for the reason Dwayne stated. He's an arrogant hose monkey. Especially since I don't get along with him on a professional level since he had a "disagreement" with my paramedic and my partner bent him over his knee and gave him a helluva spanking in front of his captain which totally understood what he had coming to him.( metaphorically speaking of course in regards to the spanking part but you get the picture)

Edited by runswithneedles

Isn't the pulse sensor located in the bottom part of the cuff (assuming on right side up)?

What? Uhmm.its a pneumatic device, no wires, no sensors, only the pressure cuff and the pressure hose...unless someone wants to fill me in on a peice of equipment I am unaware of.

sure.

What? Uhmm.its a pneumatic device, no wires, no sensors, only the pressure cuff and the pressure hose...unless someone wants to fill me in on a peice of equipment I am unaware of.

Its a zoll m series monitor

Just though of something, here. Are we talking about "Up" being flipped to "Down", or normal "inside" being placed "outside"?

its being placed right side facing outward however the tube that runs to the monitor is flipped so goes up towards the patients shoulder where it goes to the back of the stretcher where the monitor is at.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.