USA Reciprocity

Siffaliss

I am having a difficult time understanding how that adds anything productive to the conversation at hand? The OP mentioned the weather and originally being from the Northern United States, I understand how one can develop an aversion to winter weather.

Edit: Globex corporation, you sorry sukka! I saw what you just did there, even if it was a bit too late.

Edited by chbare

Actually the OP is Canadian chick :)

I have an American dad (no relation to the infamous Stan Smith we see on TV), and a Canadian mom. My dad moved back to the US after being a 1) landed immigrant, then 2) permanent resident after 9/11. He never gave up his US citizenship and moved back in 2005.

I'm just tired of the short summers and would rather move somewhere with steadily 'reasonable' weather. Plus I want to explore more, and my occupation allows me to do so. I am looking into both OZ and AZ (along with a couple other states). Time to change things up for Siffy :punk:

Edited by Siffaliss

All I can really do is echo what others have said and warn you that I am not aware of any state that has any sort of process for recognizing foreign EMS credentials. I don't know what level you are now under the Canadian scheme (PCP, ACP, CCP) but you would have to start completely over here. From EMT-B level. Frankly I would never trade the Canadian EMS system for the American one, but if that's what you want go for it.

It's merely one option I'm considering. I realize the difference in systems and costs; scope of practice is much different than what I currently have. Health care for myself is a concern in the US, as I recently saw the ambulance bill for my dad's AMI in November (he lives near San Diego). $2700!!! They fuggin' charged $80 for oxygen and $30 a mile for transport? Come on ...

Anyhow, I'm looking at several options. Certainly not for the $$ if I move south, I make more than twice as much here as I would in any US state. I'm looking for new experiences and have several options.

...It's merely one option I'm considering. I realize the difference in systems and costs; scope of practice is much different than what I currently have...

How so? What scope of practice do you currently have? You're still in school, right? When do you graduate?

Where are all of these options from all over the world coming from for someone that can't operate beyond a pretty basic BLS standard, and do nothing autonomously?

... Health care for myself is a concern in the US, as I recently saw the ambulance bill for my dad's AMI in November (he lives near San Diego). $2700!!! They fuggin' charged $80 for oxygen and $30 a mile for transport? Come on ...

If you make over $65/hr, which would be about double what the best paid U.S. medic that I'm aware of , if you skip fire, makes, it doesn't seem like that would be much money to you. Plus, that's nothing for an AMI. I'm guessing that you dropped a zero unless he has pretty good insurance.

I've been watching this thread and trying to stay out of it, but man, the whole, "Yeah, people all over the world are scrambling to hire me..." bit is getting old. I questioned you when you managed, what, like 150 popularity points in one week, and I'm questioning you again...

What do you bring to the table that makes you so confident that you have all of these 'options?'

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.