USA Reciprocity

Siffaliss

Questions to those who have moved to the US for EMS ... asides from citizenship

- what processes did you have to follow?

- what state did you move to?

- documents from education you had to provide?

- did you have to write any exams?

- etc etc?

- etc?

The prior post was a little short so I will expand.

When I decided to get my Certs. in the USA, I contacted NREMT to find out if my foreign certs would qualify me as a candidate for NREMT test. I learned that in order to take the test you have to have a course completion number from an program that has been previously approved by NREMT or affiliated to them (I am not sure of the correct terminology).The school did accept my foreign HS diploma and shot records. I took the EMT course and am now certified in the US. The State of Texas requires a state issued license to practice that can be applied for as soon as the registry card is received. I got mine five days after taking the test. I should get the Texas license sometime in the near future.

I still live outside the continental USA so I took my EMT online and am currently registered in the paramedic program with the same school. My experience with PERCOM was and continues to be very positive including passing the NREMT test on the first attempt. Online schooling provides the advantage of advancement before moving to the continental USA. I am American so I did not have any nationality issues but am not clear if there are restrictions or additional requirements for foreign nationals.

I hope this information helps you.

edited for punctuation.

Edited by DFIB

That helps a bunch DFIB, thank you. I didn't realize EMT courses were available online there so that's great info. I've got 6 years in the field here already, so if I have to do a couple of online courses it will be good review.

PERCOM was the name of the school?

As for a green card, not a problem for me. I have several relatives who are Americans residing in the US including my dad, and the Consulate has told me (in no uncertain terms) that I have an ace in the hole with that.

Again, thanks for the info :D

I'm exploring three options for within the next 12 to 18 months. The more time I spend away from my city the less I want to be here when I get back. Tired of the long, cold winters ...

I'm exploring three options for within the next 12 to 18 months. The more time I spend away from my city the less I want to be here when I get back. Tired of the long, cold winters ...

I hear you bro. Moved to the Southwestern United States just over 10 years ago and I've never looked back. Love the weather down here, love the culture and love the food. Also, I can be hiking in the rugged mountains, appreciating the desert sands and enjoying the forest without ever leaving my state.

Awesome bro, last time I moved it was because some bloke called Hank Scorpio offered me a job at Globex Corporation; that video was right, my dreams did vary from those of Globex Corporation, its subsidiaries and shareholders! :D

I myself am more partial to the Midwestern and Southeastern US; love the people, nicest most friendly people I've ever met, absolutely love being able to drive around in my giant gas consuming SUV, eating bacon triple cheeseburgers, blasting contemporary country rock music and hating on Obama en-route to the gun range.

Take a look at North Carolina or Texas; they are very progressive as is EMSA in Oklahoma City/Tulsa

Edited by kiwimedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.