how tough is a paramedics job

rescue123

Well let's see. In order to get through class, you need to not have a life at all and dedicate every free moment to studying and clinicals. Once out on the street, you must be able to take charge, think on your feet, think outside the box and do what needs to be done, remembering the whole time that, if you screw up? It's your job, your house, your boss's house and life, your partners house and life and possible jail time. How does it sound so far.

It's stressful and mentally and physically exhausting and when you get off shift you still have to take care of your spouse and kids and house and bills. If you think we make a lot of money....think again. But then we don't do this for the money...right? We do this job to help our community, family and friends in their time of crisis. We dont take care of ourselves, we eat poorly, don't exercise and sleep a lot when off shift....because we were just awake for 33 or 48 hours.

We do this job to be bitched at for taking too long to get there, for not doing what "they" think we should be doing and complained about when we do do what we should be doing.

All of this for the once in awhile "Thank you" and an "atta girl or boy" for doing a good job. All the while stinging because we gave D50 to a 17 yr old instead of D25 or gave albuterol/atrovent instead of JUST albuterol.

Still want to be a paramedic?

Well, nypamedic, thats laying it on just a little thick, don't ya think?

It is true, it takes dedication to get through school and clinincals, its certainly not something one can do half-assed. You will also be called apon to make your own decisions, and act on them, sometimes with little support or back-up. As for screwing up, I'm not really sure how a mistake leads to the complete destruction of life and liberty as you know it (possible jail time?), perhaps nypamedic can expand on that one. However, the job holds a certain amount of responsibilty, so you you will be held accountable for your actions.

The job can be stressful, and some shifts are exhausting, but there are many different shift patterns out there, not everyone works 33-48hrs. The wages again are varible. I'm in Canada and make what I consider a fair wage for the job. I live comforably, and can afford to buy a home. Yet, Im not what one could ever consider "weathy" or "well off." As for the USA, I have no experience there, so cannot speculate.

Personally, I do not consider the job "tough" per se, but it requires a good work ethic and, I can't stress this enough, sound decision making abilities. If you're not sure about the job, do a few ride alongs with the local ambulance and see what you think.

Heh – that’s quite an open ended question, one which you could ask 100 different people and receive 100 different answers.

The short answer: it’s tough. If you want to do the job well it’s REALLY tough. More so than any other job? That depends on the individual – you.

Long awkward hours. Forever a student. Constant training. Have to always give 100% - can’t have a bad day and slack off. You’ll have to help people who you don’t think deserve to be helped. You’ll see people die; you might even kill somebody. You’ll constantly have to make difficult decisions (such as deciding what to have for dinner that night).

Honestly, it’s a difficult question to answer over an Internet forum, especially an EMS forum where you’re likely to receive inflated answers from rookies such as myself, who want to raise the profession on a pedestal to boost our own egos. If you’re really interested in learning more, I suggest you:

- Ask more specific questions.

- Visit a local rescue squad / fire station to talk with some of the members. You’ll get a much better idea of the overall picture by engaging in a fluid discussion. And don’t be shy – we LOVE to talk about our profession.

Hope this gives you some guidance.

It's the toughest job you'll ever love. NO wait that's the army.

The job isn't really that tough. Takes a good head on your shoulders and if you want to be a truly incredible provider then it's tough. But to just do the job, it's not truly that tough.

Well, nypamedic, thats laying it on just a little thick, don't ya think?

No I don't think I'm laying it on a bit thick. I'm being as honest as I know how to be. No this job isnt tough. Its challenging.

As for doing jail time for a mistake? Yes it can to happen. Being taken to court for misconduct or a mistake that causes a death and the family makes a civil case is a very real possibility. Does it happen often? No. But it can happen at any time and for any reason.

We all advocate for our patients and do the best we can do for them. But do not think for a second that a "mistake" can't cost you everything. If its pursued strongly enough, with the right lawyer, it's very real.

Not to get off topic, but as I understand things...

One only (potentially) does jail time when found guilty in criminal court, for charges brought forward against you by the government.

A civil case, such as being sued by a family, can only result in monetary fines; you can't be sent to jail.

Semantics aside, being found guilty in either court very easily, as nyparamedic said, "cost you everything." I just wanted to clarify that there is a difference between the two courts.

It's not the job that's tough, it's generally the BS surrounding it. Some issues which have already been stated are:

- shift work (mental and physical exhaustion)

- lack of free time (also see above)

- work politics (stay out of this completely)

Make every effort to keep yourself "balanced", as this will certainly contribute to longevity in the field.

It depends.

The job requires a good amount of fitness and endurance for things like CPR, extricating patients down stairs, out from behind the loo when they've arrested, small hallways, carrying 30kg of equipment etc ...

It also requires excellent mental fitness; you can't be the sort of person who goes to pieces over a cut finger or gets upset when somebody calls you foul names or yells at you; you can't sit there with the crowd and cry, somebody has to take charge and get stuck in and do what is required.

You need like no really must have some way to balance the job and life otherwise you'll just go fucking mental and end up in the corner on psych meds or totally burn out and end up ... well, in the corner.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.