Wierd call. Can you create a scenario that justifies it?

DwayneEMTP

Personally I have issues with taking family in the ambulance with me, but my service demands that we do it unless there are specific criteria met (essentially there has to be a imminent danger to the crew to not transport a family member).

As for this case we don't know enough to pass judgement.

What is the educational requirement to be a basic EMT in Maine anyway?

Personally I have issues with taking family in the ambulance with me

I find this unusual; many times we've taken the family member with us to hospital; it's just something normal here; in fact it's a breach of the patients legal rights not to allow this (unless they endanger the crew) and I think its unethical even if wasn't part of the law.

As for this case we don't know enough to pass judgement. What is the educational requirement to be a basic EMT in Maine anyway?

The same as elsewhere in the US; a 120 hour course

Edited by kiwimedic

They cynical part of me knows from prior experience with virtually any healthcare provider is that everyone seems to think they know better than the medics, and that they have the right to tell them what to do, being that EMS is apparently at the bottom of the medical food chain.

Could it be possible that this is caused by the small percentage of medics that are so hard headed they dont want to admit they make mistakes and further take the initiatives to correct and prevent another mistake.

Or perhaps it reverts back to lack of recognition as a healthcare profession because not too long ago EMS was simply a hearse car rented from the funeral home?

Could it be possible that this is caused by the small percentage of medics that are so hard headed they dont want to admit they make mistakes and further take the initiatives to correct and prevent another mistake. Or perhaps it reverts back to lack of recognition as a healthcare profession because not too long ago EMS was simply a hearse car rented from the funeral home?

Yes and yes.

Where are you getting this ubiquitous "120" hour standard?

Page E-5 of the 1994 NHTSA EMT-Basic National Standard Curriculum (minimum of 110 hours + 10 hours of practical)

Now before we get all "but but but the NSC has been replaced by the National EMS Education Standards!" that may be true in like 2017 or something, but they're only slightly better.

Sorry bro

The NSC has been replaced as you stated and some states are already making the transition, therefore I'd be hesitant to apply said standard across the board. The new guidelines are actually nebulous as to the clock hour requirement. This is both good and bad IMHO.

The NSC has been replaced as you stated and some states are already making the transition, therefore I'd be hesitant to apply said standard across the board. The new guidelines are actually nebulous as to the clock hour requirement. This is both good and bad IMHO.

I was going to make a joke about fitting a clock in a nebuliser bowl but then it struck me, you know the really sad part is that the EMS Education Agenda for the Future has been in development since 1994, thats nearly twenty years and the EMT level (which is your backbone level esp in rural areas and where patients will benefit from the most increase in education and scope of practice) still can't independently administer salbutamol?

Now I'm not about to get into a pissing match or derail this thread into another education argument but that makes me die a little inside.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.