First day jitters

CPhT

All through basic school, and even now, I've been reading Ambulance Driver Files, Captains Chair Confessions, and listening to Confessions of an EMS Newbie podcast. I definitely have a good reading list for when I'm supposed to be working. :whistle:

Second day down. I got my assignments for my third rides. 10 hours BLS this Saturday, 12 Sunday, then 12 next Saturday as on an ALS rig. I found out a lot more about the company today, and it makes me really excited to start actual work. Also get to do my CEVO training next Wednesday. My FTO is good friends with my partner from basic class, so I had already met him a few times. My other FTO, as it turns out, is my former coworker from Ford. :punk: Small world indeed.

Thanks for the advice Dwayne. Kind of like the swimming duck analogy? Calm on the surface but paddling his ass off underwater? I'll see what I can do. And I'll definitely take you up on the offer to practice if I make it out that way!

15 years ago, My first job was with Community EMS, and I have also worked

for Healthlink- been there , done that, got that T-shirt. I have worked Basic-EMT-S and paramedic. The fire departments in the Down river area are downsizing

so you should see some action. Just remember do your CAB-IPS-and head to toe survey. You sound like a smart individual- so your already one up on your co-workers. Cheers.

15 years ago, My first job was with Community EMS, and I have also worked

for Healthlink- been there , done that, got that T-shirt. I have worked Basic-EMT-S and paramedic. The fire departments in the Down river area are downsizing

so you should see some action. Just remember do your CAB-IPS-and head to toe survey. You sound like a smart individual- so your already one up on your co-workers. Cheers.

LOL, thanks. I taught my basic class one of my favorite quotes. "Never underestimate the power of an idiot with a loud voice and confidence."

The municipal departments are definitely taking a huge hit down here. I know private companies have a vast majority of the transport agreements in the area. Southgate, River Rouge, Ecorse, Taylor, Lincoln Park, Allen Park, Romulus... they're all using private companies for transport, and even some of those use private companies for all EMS services. It's a sign of the times, I suppose. I'm almost wondering when we'll see our first private fire department.

Are you still in the business?

Edited by CPhT

Yes I am , but since you know the old saying, Dont throw stones if you live in a glass house. I will answear

questions but only in a positive light. I still live in the downriver area. I was supposed to work in the UP but 22,000 to work 5 24 hours shifts a week did not cut the mustard. Currently looking for work and seeking a Florida position. if nothing found sooner. Cheers.

Yes I am , but since you know the old saying, Dont throw stones if you live in a glass house. I will answear

questions but only in a positive light. I still live in the downriver area. I was supposed to work in the UP but 22,000 to work 5 24 hours shifts a week did not cut the mustard. Currently looking for work and seeking a Florida position. if nothing found sooner. Cheers.

Roger that... Yeah, the UP isn't known for it's rich economy. I sure do love it up there though. Florida seems like it would be the complete opposite, both in terms of weather and in demographic. I bet it pays a bit nicer though. Good luck on the job search!

Shoot, you can come and practice in my neighborhood any time man...

The best advice that I can give you? And I swear that I live by this, "When you get nervouse, slow down, when things get chaotic, slow down more, when you see things beginning to go really wrong, slow WAY, WAY down...."

People will try and convince you that speed is what separates the pros from the wankers, but I disagree, it's calmness of thought and action...Though better medics than myself can go fucking kick ass fast and still be calm as a cucumber...me, not so much.

Plus, I've rarely seen speed provide any significant advantage. Even if you can go a hundred miles an hour perfectly calm, those around you can't. The faster you go, the more ramped up they'll get and start dropping things and stepping on people, and you'll actually need them to be productive sometimes.

Good luck man, I look forward to hearing how it goes!

If you want an amazing read from someone that chronicles their noob experiences in EMS. Try,........... Wait! I can't find it now! Fiz, did you delete your blog?

If he didn't maybe he'll be kind enough to post the address...it should be required reading in medic school...

Dwayne

It's now locked down to invitation only. I tried to access and can't, and it says contact the blog author.

Bummer!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

...one of my favorite quotes. "Never underestimate the power of an idiot with a loud voice and confidence..."

Or one better, confidence and a soft voice. But you're absolutely right, if you can project confidence without cockiness then it matters little what you know, as people will follow you...

Dwayne