Volunteering as "Medical" at a community event

CPhT

Bernhard . Yes, we do it all the time. It's the base of our funding as a volunteer red cross group, since we usually don't offer the service for free (even if it's a free event), only with rare exceptions. Germans law on providing care as a licensed person seems to be totally other than in U.S., so I can give you just some general tips to cover such an event. We have several rules for such events.

It is really cool the way the Red Cross operates in some countries like Mexico and Germany. In the USA I have only seen one red cross ambulance, ever.

It is really cool the way the Red Cross operates in some countries like Mexico and Germany. In the USA I have only seen one red cross ambulance, ever.

Did it provide EMS or what was it?

Here in Germany, the Red Cross is not only the national Red Cross organization with tasks by the means of Geneva Convention, but the main provider for EMS, mountain and water rescue, medical/social disaster response and a lot of other medical/social activities (blood collection, home care, kindergarten, nursing homes, even complete hospitals and a lot of others). Main task of the local volunteer groups (if not in water & mountain rescue) are covering events with medical care, several social activities and disaster response. Red Cross EMS is career based, slightly supported by volunteers (where the volunteer needs the same proper EMS education for the position he covers).

• Like 1

In the USA I do not know if Red Cross covers EMS, I know they work blood drives and disasters. In Mexico most 911 (066) calls are covered by Mexican Red Cross as well as public events and disasters. We do not do blood drives or nursing homes etc...

Two-three times a year, a local group puts on a cool event called "Thunderdrome" in Northwest Detroit. The basic gist of the event is a bunch of people gathering at an abandoned velodrome (1000' concrete banked oval race track) and racing pit bikes, minibikes, mopeds, scooters, mountain bikes, "fixies", and commuter bikes. It's a legal event, with insurance and permits and such. However, over the last couple of events, I've noticed a disturbing lack of medical coverage. They have a small plastic case with neosporin and band-aids, but that is the extent of first aid available on scene.

My questions to the city dwellers are:

1. Would you, as a licensed but off-duty EMT, volunteer to provide any on-scene medical care, limited obviously to your provider level, but also with the stipulation that 911 will still be called, as needed?

In Texas, we can only work at a first aid level unless you are covered by a medical director which usually requires a First Responder company to be responsible. Ultimately, you are there to do bandaids and call EMS if needed.

2. What type of equipment would you bring with you? I'm really interested in doing this, but I have nothing aside from a small first-aid kit in my trunk, and my school gear (shears, stetho, BP cuff, CPR mask, and pen light). I don't want to feel like I'm carrying a portable trauma unit to this event, and I don't know if I can justify buying a wacker-kit just for 2-3 events per year.

Pretty much a first aid kit - holler at me for more specifics if you need them. :D

3. The obvious one; liability. All racers have to sign a release form before being allowed to compete. However, if someone were to get hurt, and I was to provide care, what sort of liability does that open me up to? Does it open the organizers up to any liability if they allow me to provide care?

In Texas, you'd fall under the Good Samaritan Laws...

...see comments above.

I've worked a number of events like this, but as a first aider and then under the umbrella of a FRO group so that I could work at my level as authorized by that group (usually paid at that point).

They are both fun and rewarding!

...see comments above.

I've worked a number of events like this, but as a first aider and then under the umbrella of a FRO group so that I could work at my level as authorized by that group (usually paid at that point).

They are both fun and rewarding!

My favorite is covering Lucha Libre!!!

I think that if you are working as "an EMT" you should be able to provide that level of care. Ie you should have the equipment that one would expect from a BLS service. 02, trauma dressings, oral airways, BVMs etc. Otherwise you aren't providing the level of care that your certification entails.

Secondly, in many states you are certified as an EMT, but you aren't allowed to provide emergency medical services without medical oversight/medical director. As others have said, if you are signing up to work an event, you aren't covered by Good Sam. You also don't have any liability insurance.

I used to be in the situations in college, when groups like the rugby team would hire an EMT to work events but it was super sketchy. No medical director, no insurance. That's why my college started an EMS service that was licensed by the state as a non transporting service.

I used to be in the situations in college, when groups like the rugby team would hire an EMT to work events but it was super sketchy. No medical director, no insurance. That's why my college started an EMS service that was licensed by the state as a non transporting service.

There are one or two very small private services here who do events cover but they are more "advanced first aid" and don't require a medical director because they are not supplying prescription medicines; or at most have some GP somewhere that has written them a standing order for entonox

Wait, you blokes know how to play rugby? 'strewth I'm heaps gobsmacked mate :D

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.