Health crisis hits Alberta's EMS workers

tniuqs

To be honest, I am glad Peter got it off his chest, but I do question the validity of this paintbrush effect.

I had a Calgary medic spend the weekend with me, and he says he does not know of any Calgary medics who are all knotted up like the Edmonton ones.

When I questioned him, he thought it has been 2 yrs or more since Calgary has had a "Code red" (no units available) yet this happends almost daily in Edm.

I hate to see this get blown out of proportion because EMS is not where we should be focusing the publics attention. When I was in Edm 3 nights ago, I was there for 2.5hrs with the same 3 Edm ambulance crews waiting for beds. At the time they had just come off a 30min code red. Does that really sound like a Edm EMS problem?

If you ask me, we need to refocus on hallway wait times, and long term placement. Perhaps we could look at dispatch again and get the patient transfer end streamlined, and forget these IFT trucks. If you are parked and on shift, you get dispatched to whatever call comes in Period!

To be honest, I am glad Peter got it off his chest, but I do question the validity of this paintbrush effect.

Peter Who ?

I had a Calgary medic spend the weekend with me, and he says he does not know of any Calgary medics who are all knotted up like the Edmonton ones.

Of course not they are working Industrial ......$600 a day ... Duh!

When I questioned him, he thought it has been 2 yrs or more since Calgary has had a "Code red" (no units available) yet this happends almost daily in Edm.

Not the point Cow town vs Deadmonton.

I hate to see this get blown out of proportion because EMS is not where we should be focusing the publics attention. When I was in Edm 3 nights ago, I was there for 2.5hrs with the same 3 Edm ambulance crews waiting for beds. At the time they had just come off a 30min code red. Does that really sound like a Edm EMS problem?

Using the outlying areas for AHS EMS are suffering .. zip for coverage, the coined phrase AHS "improved utilization".

If you ask me, we need to refocus on hallway wait times, and long term placement. Perhaps we could look at dispatch again and get the patient transfer end streamlined, and forget these IFT trucks. If you are parked and on shift, you get dispatched to whatever call comes in Period!

So is that working smoothly ? Bravo for the dirty dozen drawing attention to a bed shortage in EDM ERs Sherman drew attention to this issue a year ago btw I was there in the Legislature, and Fred Horn called him "manic" ???

Looking forward to Fred Horn's release tomorrow twisting his way out of this one part 2 of a global EDM TV investigative reporting.

If you ask me, we need to refocus on hallway wait times, and long term placement.

And what has Raj Sherman been saying for over a year ?

Yes the Conservative Government has failed in delivery of public health care (or was this by intent ?)

AB is the least cost effective health care system in Canada.

But it goes beyond that just a personal example my personal MD has been off work for months ill ... so therefore I have no GP, advice from the office go to ER. This is a systemic problem EMS in hallways is just the offload, moreover just a symptom of the disease.

Perhaps we could look at dispatch again and get the patient transfer end streamlined, and forget these IFT trucks. If you are parked and on shift, you get dispatched to whatever call comes in Period!

Don't know how that works think AHS will listen to you ?

The new Health Care Minister Fred Horns response .... back away from the benzos Fred your a thrilling speaker LOL and best lose some weight or you will be holding down a Ferno/Stryker in a hallway .

So:

Build 2 new sub stations ... for what ? I don't know, if your sitting in ER what good is am empty hall ?

Strike a committee, ok who's going to speak out when the hidden faces and voice over was used in the interviews ?

Remember the signed STFU agreement !

I just cant wait for an election to be announced Period !

Edited by tniuqs

• 2 weeks later...

To all you Alberta Paramedics (with expection of Edmonton) I suggest you fill out the HSAA employee satisfaction survey, its online

http://www.hsaa.ca/home

Dear member,

On January 23, 2012, HSAA launched a second EMS survey for Calgary Metro

EMS, IFT North/South and Rural/Non Metro members. This survey concludes on

Sunday, February 5, 2012 at midnight.

Please Note: member participation is essential to improving working

conditions and communications with the employer. If you have not yet

filled out the survey, please set aside a few minutes of your time to do so

before Sunday February 5, 2012 (midnight).

To participate in the survey, you must have an Online Member Account at

hsaa.ca. If you already have an account, please log in and complete the

survey now. The hyper-link below will take you to the survey.

http://www.hsaa.ca/surveys

To create an Online Member Account, visit:

http://www.hsaa.ca/member_account_setup_form

Since we do not have e-mail addresses for all members, please share this

invitation with your colleagues so they too may provide their input.

We sincerely value your opinions and look forward to your participation in

this survey.

To all you Alberta Paramedics (with expection of Edmonton) I suggest you fill out the HSAA employee satisfaction survey, its online

http://www.hsaa.ca/home

I've received this survey and have filled it out. Why wouldn't I do so simply because I work in Edmonton? Because I won't paint my job with a happy shmappy brush? Finally after nearly 3 years, AHS is starting to realize "whoa wait a minute, maybe we aren't doing as well as we have been telling everyone" ... they might actually be starting to listen to us.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.