Will a DWI affect me from becoming an EMT

r_brown_11

I read a similar post to this and I saw that the comments back weren't so promising but I was looking for a second opinion. I received a DWI nearly two years ago the summer before my senior year of high school when I was 17 years old. As much as I am ashamed of that part of my past it made me grow up probably faster than most teenagers and come to realize my goals and priorities in life. I have no excuses for my actions that night because no excuses exist in instances of drinking and driving. I fully accept the responsibility of my actions for I have no one to blame but myself. I am now 19 years old and in the second semester of my freshman year of college, an honors student, and hold a 4.0. I really hope to pursue a career in medicine and was looking to get certified as an EMT-Basic this summer to earn hands-on patient care hours. Do you think the DWI I will have gotten two years ago when I hope to begin the EMT Basic classes will affect my chances of getting accepted into the program?

What were you hoping to read here that wasn't covered in the previous thread? What you read in that thread is probably just as accurate for you as it was for the person who started it. (Of course, without knowing specifically which discussion you read, specifics may vary. But the overall gist of the what your options are probably won't.)

To answer the one question you did ask in your post, I don't know that the DUI will necessarily hurt you in terms of getting accepted into an EMT course. Although, depending on the program, it might. Every place is a little different. Some programs do have restrictions regarding your driving and criminal record when considering applicants. Where it will really come into play will be getting hired as an EMT. First, you're 19. Most places won't insure you to drive, and driving is a part of the job description, until you're 21. Next, you have a DUI on your record. Most places won't insure you if you have a DUI. If you're not insurable you're not hireable.

That's great you have accepted responsibility for being stupid. That's great that you're working hard to turn things around for yourself. If you keep up the hard work both academically and with your growth and maturity this is not necessarily an insurmountable obstacle. In the short term, however, well, good luck with that.

• Like 1

I dont think you should have much of a problem being accepted into the course, althoug it depends on where you are taking it. Around here its a community college class so your driving/criminal record is not a factor. If you have money, you can take the class.

Getting hired is another story. You are young, and having a DUI is often a career killer in EMS. Im not saying that its impossible, but its certainly an uphill battle.

Good luck.

In Maine you will be asked about any criminal record on the class application. You might be allowed to take the class, but when it comes to licensing , your application will go to the investigations committee for review.

You need to be very honest and contrite and have many good reasons that they should issue you an EMS license to practice. You will probably need character references to stand testament to your changed behavior and attitude since your DWI.. That might or might not get you a license to practice.

Then you need to get hired!

Whole nother story here my young friend.

I could not hire you in any way shape or form with a recent DUI and under 21 yo.

Our insurance will not cover you. need a 10 yr clean record after a DUI.

That's just the way it is! Life sucks and then you get older.

I can only speak for Texas, because that is all I know. As stated in previous answers you would have to submit for a background check, and that will probably show up (if you were tried as an adult) but I would not suggest omitting that from your application. Now considering that during class, you will not have to drive it should not be a problem.

Now when it comes time to apply for you lisence/certification with the state, they will review the case, your background, and may even interview you prior to lisencing. I have known far to many people that have received a DUI and still were able to get and retain their certs.

As Paramedic Mike said (ever so delicately I might add), most services insurance will not allow you to be insured because you are under the age of 21 (seems to be a magical age for you). There for you will have a very tough time getting hired before that age. Now considering most Paramedic programs (if that is the way you choose) are two years then that should not be the issue. The issue that you are going to face is having the DUI on your record. One again as Mike said, most fleet insurances will not insure you because of the DUI, depending on the length of time since your last one (normally within the last five years), the number of offenses, etc.

One thing to remember also, the reason this was mentioned earlier, is that your criminal record becomes "sealed" for any offense that you commit as a minor (most states under the age of 18). However, if you were tried as an adult in this case (which I would guess that you were) then that offense that you were tried "as an adult" does not get sealed.

You made a mistake, a very stupid one, but you can come out on top of this. It seems that you are already taking the right steps to make the better of yourself. Keep on the right track.

I just have one thing to add to that though, you are lucky that you were arrested for DUI and did not kill someone by driving drunk. One thing about this job you will learn to hate are the people that drive drunk crash their car into an innocent family and kill them, and then they are carted off to jail without a scratch. All the while a family is mourning the loss the loss of their loved one(s) who just made the choice (unknowingly) to be on the road at the same time as that drunk driver. Enough said, good luck.

It was a misdemeanor first of all, not that that makes it any better but I am not a felon. Second of all I am aware I made a mistake and if you think I have not beaten myself up since that day for what I could have done to someone and their family that night then your wrong there too. I made a horrible decision one night that will continue to affect my life for many years after, I know that. I did not ask for your judgment or condemnation but rather a professional opinion. For those of you that answered however bluntly and honestly I thank you. But to accuse me of being a felon I do not appreciate, and as for

Would you want a felon touching your mom or sister?

I am a female so it doesn't seem that question was intended for me, and I am most certainly not a felon.

I know that you are in tight spot but no situation is insurmountable. First I would check your background and make sure that the charge is on your record. You might have been considered a minor at the time. If it is on you record You might talk to legal counsel to find out if you can have the record expunged because of your age at the time of the offense. Here is a link where you can ask legal questions I have never used it you may get an idea of your options. I was tempted to ask them for you and play like I was really smart but I do not have all of the details. ;o

http://www.justanswer.com/sip/law?r=ppc|ga|1|Rest+of+World|Law+%2D+USA+%2D+1&JPKW=laws&JPDC=C&JPST=www.ehow.com&JPAD=8890689483&JPMT=&JPNW=d&JPAF=txt&JPCD=20111123&JPRC=1&JPOP=Every9secHybridTrans&gclid=CLa1r42B0a0CFQ3DtgodYjetmQ

I figgured you were a girl when you mentioned you magnificent GPA. I think you have options that may require some work on your behalf. Sounds like you are on a good path.

On another subject. I think that EMT-B are skills that will serve you well even if you never work in EMS. Learning BLS is never a waste of time.

Let us know how things turn out for you.

Best wishes.

In some states you may be classified a felon with a single dui/dwi conviction. In other states they don't even give jail time until the 4th 0r 5th time you get bagged.

Read a news story here about a gent who had just been sentenced for his 15th OUI in 12 yrs time. He hasn't had a license for ten years, still doesn't stop him from drunk driving/ driving while impaired. He got 90 days in jail.

Please don't take the this wrong, we know you are aware of that awful mistake in judgement you had as a teenager. We are just giving it to you straight.

On to the future for you . stay in school , keep your grades up. go forward with your life lesson filed away , continue on to medical school. make yourself proud.

Us to!